Career coaching

Have any of you tried hiring a career coach? If so, was it worth it? Did you step up your career game?

I used a career coach for one year, for a specific purpose.

I think it has helped me, long-term, because it helped me to be more effective about certain things I really care about.

2 Likes

I used something similar to what people call a career coach today but it was many years ago. It helped me a lot in learning about how to get me into the general job market. It was a different time then. You mailed resumes to an employer, found a job notice in the newspaper, and maybe even had to fill out a paper application at the employer’s physical location. Most of the advice I received on how to find a new job is now antiquated. I find most of the advice on how to follow your passions and what not to be window dressing. I figured out that for me, my job is my job. I like my job but I work to do what I love. The things I love to do don’t pay well any way you look at it. That being said, knowing what you need out of a job is very important and a career coach can help with that if you are unable to figure it out on your own.

The one big skill I learned at the time was interviewing. That alone was worth what I paid and probably got me to where I am today. In hindsight, I feel like I should have been able to figure that out on my own but I think that is unrealistic. Good interviewing takes practice and shouldn’t really be done at game time.

2 Likes