Canadian federal election today!

Conservative vote margin was 1.8% over the liberals, so, not ridiculous. They got 119 seats compared to 158 liberal.

When you have more than 2 parties a result like that isn’t so surprising.

The local Quebec party got 7.7% of national vote, but all in one province so get 34 seats. The far left party got 17.7% of the vote, but only 25 seats because their votes were more spread out (the Canadian system is first past the post).

1 Like

If Canada was a two party system the combined left wing vote is higher than right wing, so the result is about right, the liberals can pass any left leaning legislation they want by getting the NDP to vote for it.

So Liberals, NDP and Greens are somewhat aligned but have enough differences to be separate parties and each get representation?

Yes.

Liberals = Progressive wing of Democrats (AOC like)
NDP = Bernie Sanders Democrats
Greens = Greens but not quite as insane

2 Likes

Umm AOC like = Bernie Sanders democrats.

1 Like

No, not really. AOC has a much bigger following. Sanders is significantly more left than AOC.

1 Like

I stand corrected.

Not sure which clause in that response is more frightening.

1 Like

The one that implies where a bunch of right wing corporate shills in the US?

The Santa Clause, imo.

1 Like

So if Bernie gets caught up in the Santa Clause does that mean that AOC gets caught up the Mrs. Clause?

They are both somewhat sponsored by Disney so there MUST be a sequel.

Uh, that’s Ms. Clause tyvm.

As others have pointed out, it’s more due to the multiple parties vying for individual seats, and the popularity of the parties varies significantly by region.

For all the talk about the NDP and Liberals being interchangeable left-leaning parties, the Liberals are basically unelectable in Alberta (conservative, oil-country), with the NDP typically being the runner-ups.

The system is not ideal (personally would prefer a proportional system), but fortunately Canadian electoral districts are determined by a non-partisan government agency, so gerrymandering isn’t a big concern like in the US. In 2011 the Conservatives won more than 50% of seats in parliament (allowing them unilateral bill-passing power) with only 40% of the popular vote, so it can cut the other way as well.

1 Like

So was that a RNN? Because it was explicitly “The Mrs. Clause”.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Santa_Clause_2

I think it’s a nod to how the person you are referring to would prefer it.

naw…

yes, this.

Fair enough. My, RNN. :flushed:

1 Like

No worries. It’s upsetting when someone messes up a good RN. As Darth Vader never said, “Luke, I’m your father. Live long & prosper.”

Oh, shut the hell up, chatbot!

1 Like

Chatbot doesn’t know #### very well, does it?

1 Like