Can we stop blaming Facebook or something?

I keep seeing all these news headlines blaming Facebook for pretty much every problem we have in America right now. What I don’t get is if you don’t want to read garbage or feel terrible about yourself after looking at your news feed, how about you just like I don’t know, not log in or something?

Have you ever tried simply turning off the TV, sitting down with your children, and hitting them?

(I sure hope someone N’s the R; otherwise I just seem abusive.)

1 Like

I don’t have a TV

I mean I could buy one, but like, I didn’t

how would me not reading facebook change how the idiots who do read facebook ruin the world?

2 Likes

How does reading it help?

don’t blame me, i just post fart jokes and pictures of ducks

1 Like

if you’re still using fb you’re old.

Kids these days don’t even have fb accounts.

helps pass the time until death.

2 Likes

my kids are on discord (so am I, but not the same servers)

I pulled the plug on FB before ever knowing this article existed. Nothing in it surprises me.

TBH, I think Facebook is a massive fraud that once uncovered will crash Enron-style and perhaps the only surprising thing is that no one has blown the whistle internally or dug into the company’s records externally. But, that’s a topic for another thread.

1 Like

you might as well go on about it here imo

My kids and I overlap on some servers.

mine just aren’t into sumo.

Short answer, addiction.

Facebook:cigarettes as other social media platforms:vaping

1 Like

FWIW, the WSJ did a series of articles digging into the issues with Facebook: The Facebook Files - WSJ (probably paywalled).

Facebook annoys me. I have an account there that I mostly keep deactivated, but communications for my reunions for my high school class and the local planespotting group moved there…so I reactivate it every so often for about 5 minutes or so.

I’ve never had an account. It seemed suspicious to me from the start.
All the people I’d want to keep connected with is overruled by the people I want no connection with.
And nothing is ever free.

1 Like

There are only two business models that call their customers “users”. Software and drug dealers.

Facebook “users” aren’t the customers; they’re the product.

4 Likes

Go watch “The Social Dilemma” and come back to this thread.

2 Likes