Building Resilience

You could always go for FCAS as an FSA or FSA as an FCAS, that’s possibly years of rejection!

4 Likes

Chess is pretty fun by the way. It’s a universal game where really anybody in the world can play, but everybody plays at a different level. My 4 year old, and a beginner, and I, and a grand-master, and a top player can all look at the same exact board, but see totally different things.

Another sport suggestion: rock-climbing.

It’s unique in that you fail, again and again, at the same exact challenges. So any improvement no matter how small is very noticeable.

And it’s really exciting when you go from not being able to climb a wall to suddenly being able to climb a wall.

1 Like

After a while, the expectations are lowered plenty enough, so that when you actually do hit a good shot, or manage to make par on one or two holes (out of 18), your friends are genuinely happy for you.
Anyone starting out: find a nice Par-3 course, work on the short game, know your clubs by distance.

1 Like

I wonder if Toastmasters is doing Zoom meetings. Everyone I know who has done Toastmasters speaks very highly of it, and that sounds like pretty much exactly what you are looking for – a challenge that you want to succeed at, but might realistically fail to meet your goals. With no real danger if you do fail, just an opportunity to brush yourself off and try again.

1 Like

This is what you’re looking for:

There will be plenty that don’t lend themselves to COVID-life, but hopefully the world will be able to open up this year.

I would expect that toastmasters is great. I was fortunate to get ‘free’ training on public speaking when I was younger.
I was on a co-op at a military base. Part of being an officer is being able to public speak, so they practice it when they get together. At holiday meals and similiar events, someone will stand up and just start talking. After a bit, they’ll seque into someone else with "so, jim, what do you think of all this’. Being a young co-op student they loved to pick on me, they always made me speak off the cuff. I did enough of that duing the co-op to be able to speak publicliy by the end of it. I’d expect toasmasters is similiar, you get practice and the practice builds confidence.

The other key to public speaking iniitially is to memorize what you’re going to say. If you can drone on autopilot the first time or two, after that it’s easier to do it off the cuff.

I went to a Zoom Toastmasters meeting for a club based in Chicago last year (a friend was a member and he invited me) – it was fun. Toastmasters actually works well in a Zoom meeting format, not only because you get people who would normally not be able to attend, but because TM is run with an agenda, and it’s more presentation-based and not discussion-based.

There are different presentation skills when you’re doing it via webcam & sharing your screen to give slides, but that is an important skill to build up in the first place.

As someone who enjoys public speaking, doing webcasts is difficult in that I can’t really see audience reaction. Even when using webcams, I have to look in the webcam myself, so I can’t really see people’s reactions while I present. A lot of webcasts I present don’t have webcams, just chat boxes. It is like talking into the void.

I come to this forum to practice my resilience; one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do was to forgive someone that wasn’t sorry.

And since I need to be in the same room as someone I’m trying to avoid at all costs on Sunday, I need all the practice I can get. (Happy Birthday non-spawn, may you forever love all your parents enough to force them to be together for hours making Minecraft Creeper cookies(?))

1 Like
  1. play online games
  2. go on reddit

you will learn how to remain calm and composed even against the harshest shit talkers and rage baiters.

you will also learn the art of making other people rage quit

1. master class: go to a liberal forum and pretend you’re a conservative, or vice versa. if you’re able to stand your ground arguing against 100 or 1000 people and you’re in the minority view and come out feeling strong, you’ve made it

lol at suggesting owning people on the internet is the key to building resilience.

^ see this shit right here? This is called rage baiting.

If you can read this and remain unaffected like me, then you’ve built resilience.

If you’re talking about real life vulnerability, rejections, heartbreaks, death, etc., I think experience helps. The more experience you have, the more faith you have in yourself that you will survive the pain.

Now, if it’s your first time, or think to yourself that it’s the first time you’ve dealt with THIS much pain (eg. “he really was the love of my life!!!”), and you might not survive this (not just in the suicide sense, but you have 0 motivation to work, or to interact with anyone, and everything seems meaningless and spiraling towards oblivion), I agree with Lucy that drugs will help.

stand up comedy? success rate is basically 0% for beginners

Who did you have to forgive that wasn’t sorry?

an ex that cheated?

Nah. I mean, both exes had their fair share of dabbling with the ladies on the internet in a less than respectful way, but I was never cheated on physically (that I’m aware of). Not that I believe that the former is any better in practice. Anyways. My ex-boyfriend’s and I had pretty amicable break-ups.

My opinion, is that you need to learn to lose before you can learn to win. So join a competitive team for something you are bad at. Bowling, darts, curling, whatever. Just go and have your ass handed to you by people who look like they have no business being good at the activity. I really recommend curling for that. A bunch of old drunks balancing on ice shoving a forty pound chunk of granite 140 feet with accuracy when you can’t hardly even walk on the ice is fairly humbling. The important thing is to fail but have to keep going.

it has to be a competitive team for something where you actually care a little about winning though. I was on a bowling league for a while. I was mostly there for the social aspect and because I love to bowl even though I wasn’t amazing at it. winning would have been nice, but really didn’t bother me much when we lost. I had another teammate who became unbearable when we would lose, but that wasn’t me.

I recommend bowling just because bowling is fun. well, after this pandemic is under control.