Biden's "Crisis" at the US-Mexico Border

If we define a non-moderate as someone who welcomes Illegal Immigrants to their state, then this would expose their hypocrisy if they didn’t welcome the immigrants to their state.

I don’t see that as having happened either though.

1 Like

Aside: “Build a wall” to secure the border is such a simpleton’s view of border security. I know it is often used as shorthand for implementing a trillion dollar (multi-trillion?) system to create a border secure enough to eliminate illegal border crossings (which of course would do little to stop the flow of illegal drugs as they are smuggled through transportation systems). I’m sure the ghoulish grifters that promoted that phrase and their marks that are still all in that use it have little grasp of what the hell is involved in actually accomplishing the fantasy they have been sold.

1 Like

And I’d say the Wall is a separate issue.
Since it (A) is clouded by Trump shenanigans, and (B) has a lot of right wing critics
eg. https://www.cato.org/blog/border-wall-didnt-work

regardless, it’s a fact that illegals are coming into the southern borders whether the southern states are ready for them or not.

why not share the burden with the other states, especially since this whole immigration issue seems to be a countrywide political hot topic.
Everyone should be able to get a taste of it

The border has border control agents and facilities to process the people coming across the border…what happens to them once they are allowed in on a temporary basis is a good question and having them send to other cities might make sense if the system is changed by congress to work that way. What happens to someone who is now in Chicago but needs to go back to the border when they have a hearing on asylum seeking status? These are issues that Congress needs to address, not a lib owning decision by an asshole governor.

but we know border control is beyond their capacity for years now, so they are not equipped enough to handle the number of migrants either.

yes, it’s an asshole move by Abbott, but it’s the same mentality as BLM protesting against police brutality. When there’s no solution in sight, revolt

Federal agents and a whole federal program paid by federal tax dollars.

That sounds a lot like “sharing the burden with other states.”

1 Like

While some D’s do believe this, they are a minority. It’s definitely not official D policy.

Here’s a poll that took place in 2018. People’s opinions on how Trump was doing on immigration were largely driven by party affiliation. I imagine we’d see similar trends on a poll like that regarding Biden. However when asked the question " Do you think we should have basically open borders or do you think we need secure borders?" 32% of D’s said basically open borders, compared to 7% of R’s. Overall 21% of respondents said basically open, including people from both parties and independents.

The effort to paint all D’s as wanting completely open borders was largely driven by Trump rhetoric.

Yeah but it’s not like every illegal immigrant ends up in a facility until their hearing and deportation.

There’s still a burden that falls disproportionately on the border states.

It would also do little to stop the flow of people. Now the fact that a few people have fallen and been killed may be something of a deterrent.

1 Like

Planes? Usually, people like DeSantis would pack them tightly into boxcars and send them on their way.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/georgetakei/status/1570442561025871873?s=46&t=0Ht-V5WqE7J7BeMs1Pvpcg

1 Like

What would you say the term sanctuary city implies? That you are welcoming to illegal immigrants? You don’t think it makes a good point she NYC is crying after 7000 immigrants are dropped off in a couple weeks while cities like El Paso will over 100,000 turned loose on their streets this year? You may not like it, buts it’s extremely effective at making the point. Immigration is an issue.

Takei went to a ww2 internment camp, which is where we seemed to have bottomed out during that era. This might still be not quite that bad, yet (maybe??), but it seems like it is getting close. Given Republicans cheering of it, let’s not pretend we are far off from going much lower.

They’re sending them to sanctuary cities. I would say it is those cities policy?

I agree with you that it’s an excellent political stunt. Similar to shredding one of your wife’s dresses, or parking in your neighbors lawn, or leaving laundry on your roommates bed. It’s a powerful gesture, that demonstrates the injustice you feel inside. It is not a meaningful conversation though. And it is not good policy. And it’s certainly a sign that your relationship is on the rocks.

These republican rising stars are recycling 1930s era ideas for how counties deal with people they don’t trust. They also don’t like teaching history in schools. Because history repeats itself might be on the agenda?

1 Like

We all get to our viewpoints from our experiences. Border states have been sounding this siren for decades. No one else in the country wanted to do anything about it and liberals in particular have continuously criticized conservatives at the border for having a lack of warm and fuzzy’s for migrants and meanwhile have signaled their virtue by putting labels like sanctuary city on their locales far away from the border. That’s sanctimonious and when presented face first with the problem they have resorted to NIMBYism. What should good moral liberals do? Call Republicans racists and score political points or admit the open door policy is not working for their cities either.

2 Likes

As much as I hate the notion of politicians playing political stunts with peoples’ lives, they do have a point that the federal government has utterly failed in dedicating resources to resolve the problem, one way or another.

I thought the feds had been working towards relocating some of the migrants further inland (there’s apparently been a couple of flights into BDL, up here in Connecticut), but it’s presumably been very limited.

Of course, both major parties bear responsibility for continuing to kick the immigration can down the road, in the interest of squabbling over political power.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/calltoactivism/status/1570469859045281792?s=46&t=cbUp0Aew-aXSIaJVMZcuKg

Probably also mostly a stunt, but still… :popcorn: