Biden forgives 10-20K of some student's loans

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Now that’s funny

RN

there were some black people in my high school if that’s what you mean by “culture”. i didn’t have classes with most of them though.

junior high and elementary school were mostly all whiteys.

public school k-12 had way more of a “cultural” impact on me than college, that impact was in learning that people are assholes.

1 Like

The “poor performing” school I attended had very few white kids. Although the best schools I attended were in Virginia and were fairly mixed.

And don’t leave out the best part. You have a bunch of friends that think playing “Every Breath You Take” at your wedding is oh, so romantic.

Grats. You have found your culture!

1 Like

education wise, my public school education was probably mostly fine when i wasn’t fearing for my life from the assholes there. i honestly found college easier than high school though. i think they dumbed things down because people were paying for it and they didn’t want them to drop out with the math classes. i also had a few definitely incompetent professors. one of my professors for computer programming was likely depressed. he basically didn’t teach. we just hung out in class the entire time. another professor who I had for some liberal arts class spent an entire day of class saying that we can’t be late with our papers. he literally spent the 50 minute class talking about how we can’t be late. okay dude, it’s obvious you don’t want to teach today. i don’t think i had any teachers that incompetent in public school.

in retrospect i would have gone to a different college. my mother pushed me to go to this one because it was cheaper.

Did that post get saved anywhere?

i should have complained officially about the computer science teacher. he literally did not teach. i think he taught once in an entire semester and that one day of notes was what was on the final. i had no idea what to even study for this final, but somehow one person in the class had notes from that one day and i got them from him. others in the class failed the final.

he eventually got fired, but it took a while.

I think it’s worlds of differences between being able to “see” non-white people and actually have meaningful interactions with people who are “not like” you.

I saw all sorts of “non-white” people growing up in (very) rural Colorado, but most were of the same culture as I was. The first time I had any meaningful interactions with “non-white” people who were actually very different from me was at boot camp.

1 Like

yeah, i’d imagine college is a whole lot more similar people to you. i don’t see college as this enlightening experience for different cultures at all.

I’m not disagreeing… this goes back to the statement that many people go their whole lives without ever even seeing a person of a different race. I disagree with that literal statement.

Miami University was something like 94% white when I attended. But there was quite a variety: poor white kids, rich white kids, middle class white kids, rural, urban, suburban, from all over the country, and of course that 6% that was non-white.

I noticed when I took a class at an elite college one summer I encountered rich white kids, rich black kids, rich Asian kids, rich middle eastern kids, rich Hispanic kids, rich European kids.

So on a postcard the elite school would certainly look more diverse. But was it?

To be fair, I’m guessing the scholarship kids probably didn’t take summer classes if their scholarship didn’t cover them, so there’s probably more economic diversity during the regular school year.

1 Like

I remember reading that one of the benefits of the draft (and one of the arguments for bringing it back, in some form) was that it forced people from disparate backgrounds to interact with and get to know one another.

That concept is one of the things in the back of my mind on those occasions when my inner libertarian takes a nap and I ponder the possibility of a national service program.

1 Like

probably had a mix of economic backgrounds in my high school. my classes though probably leaned more towards the higher end of that economic spectrum and mostly white.

The draft seems like such a bizarre way of relocating people.

I’ve brought you together to learn about all about the different people and cultures that make up this great country of ours and also shoot people.

Is the Peace Corps still around?

Or are there domestic programs that kids can volunteer for that help underprivileged people? That could be in the year after high school graduation and could be more beneficial than going straight to university or spending a gap year in Thailand.

1 Like

we had the “international club” in high school. they put on an international festival once a year. I’M SO CULTURED YOU GUYS AND IT WAS ALL FROM HIGH SCHOOL.

1 Like

Bunch or rich white actuaries talking about the uselessness of college and the ease of entrance exams. I’m sure this is a good cross section of Americana.

3 Likes

i’m not rich. speak for yourself. questionable if i’m white. i’m a jew. until recently we weren’t in the white posse.

1 Like

oh wait, i already said that college was useless, so your statement is fine.