Best things about Costco

Haven’t seen ‘em here in a couple of years. :sob:

This reminds me, I need to send our $587 in Costco Visa rewards straight to the bank instead of getting a voucher and having to get it converted to a gift card. I don’t think it’s official policy, but Costco can limit your ability to flip the rewards certificate for cash if the certificate is over some amount / the change back after using it to pay for a purchase is over a certain amount. This is especially true once certificates come out and everyone floods the store with them.

I don’t think the frozen triangles had broccoli. Just cheese and spinach. They’ve an easy meal.

We’re gonna hit Costco next week!!! :shopping: :shopping_cart:

@Echo: If you were here, you would get so much chikkinz!!! :poultry_leg: :poultry_leg: :poultry_leg: :poultry_leg: :poultry_leg:

2 Likes

I think the limit is $500 so you just made it. I got an email from them a couple of weeks ago letting me know I could direct deposit it. Pretty nice of them to remind me imo.

Oh yeah haven’t seen the broccoli version. That sounds good.

Oh yeah, Covid brain. :woman_facepalming:

I always added frozen broccoli when I was cooking them, but you’re right… they were just spinach & cheese.

Anyway, I miss them!

Just dropped $300+ at Costco, not even sure what I came home with.

1 Like

I once mathematically proved that you can’t spend less than $200 at Costco.

Hmm, I always bought 1 item and got the rest in change so not to lose the % on a purchase. Had checks in the 800’s before, and didn’t have a problem. Might be new policy.

You don’t even need to go to the exercise of buying one item. You can just get cash from the customer service desk without buying anything.

But I’m not sure how this new policy affects that.

I’d always get cash so I could still get the credit card points.

I just meant you can’t do the direct deposit if it’s too small. I’ve done the leaving the store with 100s in change too. Kind of a hassle having that much cash though.

Should I get the normal membership, or executive?

Normal, for the first year. Then see if you’ve actually used it. You can upgrade at the first renewal.

2 Likes

Disagree, get the executive. See the comment about “if you don’t spend enough to cover costs, they refund the difference.” You can always downgrade; if you do, you keep the 2% you’ve earned.

2 Likes

This is the right answer. There is absolutely no downside to getting the executive membership other than the minor hassle of asking for a refund of the difference in price if you don’t save at least the difference in membership fees with the 2% rebate.

1 Like

Do you need to literally ask for it…as in, go up to the counter and demand a refund?

You’re right that it would be a minor annoyance. Customer service is pretty good there. They don’t hound you like if they were, say, Kmart. They usually are expecting the sort of queries that I’ve brought to them & already know what to do before I even finish asking, so that I’ve always appreciated.

Last year, my extra refund was within one dollar of the extra cost of the executive membership.

When I signed up originally I just got the original recipe membership. Then, after the first year, when I was checking out, all of a sudden the cashier yells out “EXECUTIVE!!!”. This alerted some manager to come talk to me about upgrading because, based on my purchase history, it was a no brainer. (I used to spend more at costco than I do now. At the time I easily made up for the extra cost of the executive memberhsip.)

Also, it comes with some extra perks which may or may not be useful to you.

1 Like

I’ve never had to ask, meaning never had a difference to reimburse. We also buy stuff for a family member who reimburses us. Kaching.

2 Likes

I think you do have to ask for it. One year my 2% reward was like $0.87 short of the upgrade fee and I didn’t get anything back. I didn’t stand in line and ask for it, and I kept forgetting when I had to go to the membership counter for something else so eventually I just wrote off the $0.87.

That was when I was single and the Costco near me didn’t sell gas. I can’t remotely imagine not hitting the membership fee in executive rewards now that I’m married (so buying twice as much food… really more than twice as much since hubby eats more than I do) and also buying most of my gas at Costco.