Best state for BBQ?

When I was down in TX, yeah, sauce was on the side, but there was always sauce available and I never felt there was attitude about it.

But beans in chili was a different matter.

My exposure has always been through friends or family when I visited, so it’s most likely that I just have friends and family with very snobby tastes.

I guess the only exception to that I can think of was when we went to Kitty Hawk. Visited a bbq place, was not snobby by any means, everything was brought to the table in styrofoam for dining in, but they had no barbecue sauce at all. They had some light vinegary sauces to add to the meat, but nothing that I would call truly saucy. The meat was fine, probably even very good, but like I said, I’m all about sauce, so it was very much lacking for me.

I think that’s the regional sauce.

1 Like

taste the meat not the heat

I’m not really a fan of meat on its own, which explains a lot I guess.

Well, if one grew up not rich there’s nostalgia for the cheap stuff. And the fancy stuff you just don’t really get even when you become rich. I think spam is great for example.

I can get behind that. I still enjoy a can of meatball spaghetti o’s.

Google agrees with you.

whats the definition of bbq

I prefer #3 on the Urban Dictionary list.

1 Like

Is it safe to look that up?

Probably not on a work computer.

This. I mean, I enjoy some expensive foods. But I grew up pretty poor and I absolutely have some white trash favorites.

Yeah - that sound like how it would be in NC

Those types of places can have some of the best bbq sometimes. Food quality from a BBQ place in my experience has no correlation to the “niceness” of the establishment.

1 Like

OMG WTF BBQ

Sauce is easy and is one of the drivers of regional differences.

The meat is where you separate good BBQ from the rest.

(Rubs fall somewhere in between the two elements. Making a good rub ought to be easy…and tastes will vary here too…but getting it to work with the meat is more of an art.)

In some areas, the quality of the BBQ is inversely correlated with the niceness of the establishment.

BBQ here sucks. Most people think of Famous Dave’s when you say BBQ.

But in the last couple weeks I found a gem out in the country about 30 mins from my house. Ribs and pulled pork are really good. Smoked pulled chicken thighs are A+. Pork belly burnt ends that are to die for.

I highly suggest finding an SOA meeting in Austin if they ever have one there again.

I have been to 2 SOA meetings there. For the 1st meeting I had BBQ a couple different times at the “not highly rated” places downtown and it put the BBQ I normally eat to shame. So for the 2nd meeting I flew down a day early to hit La Barbeque (#2 in Austin behind Franklin’s). So f’n good.

1 Like