ASA or FSA - Professional Degree?

Just curious - which one (if any) would you consider a professional degree (on the level of doctoral, J.D., etc.)? ACAS ad FCAS would be equivalent.

Associate/Fellow are professional certifications, not professional degrees.

Fellow I would equate more towards a Master’s degree, PhDs seem to be on a different tier imo (though obviously varies by school).


This is what happens when you blow up 20 years of historical discussion.


“Link to FAQ on… oh shit.”

1 Like

Short version: professional credentials and academic degrees are different things.

It is not useful to try to conflate the two.

I do understand in some non-U.S. countries, you get the professional credential via a specific academic degree. The answer to that is: the U.S. is the 3rd largest country in the world by population, 1st country by GDP (currently), and 3rd largest country by area (not relevant to much, but thought I’d throw it in.) Basically, Americans don’t much care what the rest of the world does.


Thanks all! I definitely do miss the old AO where I could just search for answers to all my stupid questions :slight_smile:


Answer me this…

Does the SOA, CAS, or AAA meet the following definition:

" an organized association of workers, often in a trade or profession, formed to protect and further their rights and interests."

I’m not sure why you are directing this question at me, but yes, the actuarial world is organized into unions and guilds. Not quite in the way that the average person might think of when thinking of a labor union but I’m not sure that anyone disputes that is how we are organized and the actuarial organizations impact the supply of labor.

We’re definitely a guild. Or, rather, sets of guilds.

1 Like