Applying for ACAS

I’m getting way ahead of myself here, but in checking application requirements, am I correctly [strike]reading[/strike] interpreting that the requirement of two letters of recommendation are no longer required with the ACAS application? The last time I got overly excited about possibly passing 6 that was definitely a requirement. MAAA clearly states one formal letter is required there, but I feel like I’ve missed something…

I’m looking here.

No idea, but when I applied nearly 2 years ago I had to have two letters of recommendation.

Congrats on the potential excitement!

For applying to the AAA I got a little confused when I was first doing it. It seems to be this hugely onerous thing but in fact if you’re ACAS then it’s really just a brief bit of paperwork. I think they send you said paperwork a few months after achieving ACAS.

1 Like

It is not on the admissions section of the website, or the application itself. I can find archived web pages that indicate as such, so I know it was real.

I emailed Danelle Gee who handles admissions and she has confirmed that it is NOT a requirement. I missed that memo…

So they let just anybody in these days! :judge: /s

1 Like

Does seem strange. I’ll take it though I guess.

I’m in, so the bar is already pretty low.

:laughing: tell me about it… :tfh:

Does the AAA really still require a letter from your supervisor? I mean, the application on the AAA site mentions it, but I don’t recall having to provide one when I applied (though it’s been a while and I could have forgotten about it). The AAA application also asks you to document your work experience, which I also don’t remember having to do – I mean, didn’t they drop the experience requirement for Academy membership over a decade ago (a bit after the experience requirement was put in place for statements of actuarial opinion)?

A reference letter and statement about work experience is only required if you have been a resident of the US for less than 3 years.

1 Like

This makes sense.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I don’t need to see anyone about a memory test after all!

No problem! I submitted my application a few days ago, and was scrambling to write the statement of work when my boss pointed it out to me.

:bump:
How do people’s companies handle member dues for both CAS and AAA? Company paid or out of pocket?

• Company pays
  • I pay
  • Company pays some but not all (i.e. CAS but not MAAA or partial payment)

0 voters

My company pays but I never got the MAAA.

Thanks all. I’m the first credential we’ve ever had, so I needed some leverage. :money_mouth_face:

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but when applying for ACAS do I need to fill out the attestation on CAS website for this year?

I want to say yes. I don’t fully remember, but it would make sense.

Pretty sure you do. Study time + Course on Professionalism should give you most of what you need. Remember COP includes organized, and professionalism. Also, you can use it even if you did COP a year ago.

@act_123 I know I have the hours, but do I have to attest for 2023 or when I apply for membership is it implied that I am attesting for that year and therefore I do not have to attest separately.

As a side note, I probably could just attest for less effort than I am putting in to find out whether I need to or not. :man_shrugging:

Pretty sure you need to attest. Takes 30 seconds if you have all the hours. Worst comes to worst you attested and it will be ignored.