AOC Met Gala Dress

Exactly.

And the irony here should not be overlooked. The thread title is AOC gala dress.

She is not rich
She is not white
She is not old

Yet there she is.

1 Like

And she did not pay for her ticket . . .

…'cause she probably couldn’t afford it.

Is she?

The only show I ever saw in New York was when I attended PS26 and we had a field trip to see The Wizard of Oz.

1 Like

Another? Literally everyone is promoting their own brand in this generation if you have access to internet.

The number of followers means a LOT to kids these days, and a lot of them become millionaires through being influencers.

Promoting your brand is probably one of the most important things these days. I would say politicians in general are pretty bad at promoting their own brand. This sets AOC apart, as she relates more to what’s important to the young generation .

3 Likes

And I think it’s more common now for organizations to have programs specifically for schools.

Well… pre-Covid it was anyway. :cry:

You walked by. The school kids bused over.

If any government should pay for this, I think it should be your local or state government.

I suggested a tax deduction only for contributions to outreach.

Yep. And, for politicians, it didn’t start with the internet. Newspapers, parades, storefront offices, … The longest serving US Senator (Grassley) brags that he visits every one of Iowa’s 99 counties every year. “Down Home” is his brand.

One problem is that people get so intent on promoting their brand that they can’t compromise to get actual legislation.

Another is that they are so intent on promoting their brand that they hurt their party’s chances of passing legislation, possibly be losing in swing districts.

The second is a bigger deal these days because we’ve got more national media (now we can talk about the internet). It used to be that a back bench House member from CO was invisible to voters in NY, and the one from NY was invisible in CO. No more, at least if those members are really skilled at getting attention.

1 Like

The main reason for promoting their own brand is so they become political aristocracy. We desperately need term limits.

2 Likes

I think the worst current cases are people who would be happy to leave congress for some media gig. That is actually their brand plan.

Term limits mean that people get more interested in feathering their after-congress nests.

[red]AOC is a rich liberal coastal elite so she can’t relate to the common folk so we shouldn’t listen to her and she’s just a former bartender who isn’t rich and also she’s young so we shouldn’t listen to her.[/red]

Oh, and also she’s female

4 Likes

And she’s Hispanic. There aren’t enough pearls to clutch.

Holy cow, how did I forget that she’s a minority? And attractive! All the worst boogeymen.

Oh sorry, it has to be boogeypersons now [/red]

Can we do /s instead of /red like a normal person

1 Like

:heart:

3 Likes

The Republicans are more equal opportunity in giving the left both Lauren Boebert and Madison Cawthorn to infuriate them.

My honest take on those two:
Boebert: She’s from Florida, right? Anti-vax woman, black hair? Can’t think of another thing about her. I remember her saying some stupid things though.
Cawthorn: The guy who lied about being a hero and how he was going to go into the military. Maybe he’s also from Florida?

I don’t think the outrage against them quite matches the anti-AOC outrage.

She’s the gun nut from Colorado. You were right about the stupid things tho.

Cawthorn is the wheelchair guy that wants people to think he’s ex-military. Iirc has some kind of fetish for nazi paraphernalia. Not sure where he’s from

He’s from North Carolina.

What Madison Cawthorn always makes me think of, for some reason:
BountifulImpishEmperorpenguin-size_restricted

1 Like