Annoyed Thoughts: archive 1

My ex-FIL worked for the water company’s IT team and routinely looked at all this data. He assured me that in most cases the quality of bottled water is MUCH worse than what comes out of your tap. Like, heads would roll if the municipal water supply had half the contaminants that bottled water typically has.

To be fair, he didn’t work in Flint.

My spouse worked admin at the Canadian water network, a research group. The phds there were quite clear that the water coming out of the tap was far better monitored than bottled.

1 Like

The best water I’ve ever had was the tap water at Banff. It was so good that I filled a couple bottles to bring some home. :wink:

This is in line with my ex-FIL’s spiel about bottled vs tap water.

I’ve literally watched him open a brand-new bottle of Evian, pour it down the drain, fill it with tap water, and drink it. He claimed Evian wasn’t fit to water your plants and should only be consumed if you were at risk of severe dehydration and had no other option. Like, it should literally only be used if it’s the difference between life and death.

In the US bottled water is not regulated as “water”, it is regulated as “food”, which has MUCH laxer guidelines than water.

Evian is kinda nasty. The stuff Nestle sucks out of the ground (well, Poland springs, anyway) at least tastes good.

A local farm has “gluten free brown eggs” for sale. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I was gonna actuarialize on the deck this aft, but a buncha clouds have rolled in … :unamused:

:rofl:

:iat :roll_eyes::

Of course, eggs with extra gluten are good for bread making, which you might be interested in.

Seems like they missed out on a marketing opportunity not calling them peanut free and soy free

I’m sure they label them as “may contain egg”.

When did the default for coffee/espresso drinks become iced rather than hot?!

There’s a reason the adjective “iced” is used in the phrase “iced coffee”: namely, “coffee” is a hot beverage. If I don’t specify, I expect a steaming cup of joe. :woman_judge: :coffee: :judge:

1 Like

Agree. If you don’t ask in November, don’t ask in May. Default is hot. I’ll specify if I want it iced. In their defense, they probably deal with pissy customers who expect the baristas to be mind readers.

1 Like

Like me? :wink:

On warm/hot sunny days in the summer I’ll specify I want it hot before they ask because I know the question is coming. I don’t care if it’s in the 70s. I want my coffee hot.

2 Likes

Yeah, I only like iced, but I expect to have to specify “iced” year round.

I do think that Starbucks should train baristas on how to make iced coffee even in the dead of winter. Only time I ever had to send a drink back. But I certainly expect to have to specify iced, even when it’s 105 degrees out.

If it was 105 degrees out, I wouldn’t fault a barista for clarifying that I wanted hot coffee after I asked for coffee. But they certainly shouldn’t assume iced.

Similarly, I don’t care if it’s 20 below. I want my coffee iced!

But again, I expect to have to specify irrespective of outside temperature.

I assumed other actuaries would just use the app and order ahead. No unnecessary communication with a fellow warm-blood and less of a chance of them getting your order wrong, win-win.

3 Likes

I order ahead if I’m going to Dunkin and I would if there was a Starbucks convenient.

But independent coffee shops might not have invested in app technology. Or if you’re sitting in a restaurant and want coffee to go with breakfast then you wouldn’t use an app.

1 Like

My gf and I went to a resort wedding in the Dominican Republic. At the cafe, I asked for a coffee and the lady behind the counter was surprised I wanted a hot coffee. I assured her I wanted a hot coffee.