Annoyed Thoughts: archive 1

Went to a football game yesterday, and someone was sitting in our seats. We have season tickets, so I was certain they were in the wrong place. They wanted to argue about it for a good while, repeatedly saying they were in the right place. I finally convinced them to pull out their phones and actually look at their tickets. They were 2 sections away.

5 Likes

To be fair, the rules aren’t posted except online. And we’re a tourist town, so every ticket is more money put into our streets and such, so not that annoyed. We get our pound of flesh from visitors.

And I know where’s good to park (except apparently for this garage), so I always nab the free parking one street over from where the tourists pay.

4 Likes

I think it was last year, my city switched from free parking all weekend to free parking only on Sunday. I had to pay a $10 or $15 fine before I really learned that.

2 Likes

I go fishing in an area where the locals are capital P pissed with all the boaters parking on their streets. People park for a mile up and down the road, park on grass, park blocking driveways, etc. It’s a nightmare. I recognize this, so I try and stay away from being part of the problem.
Last year I took some students fishing there on a sunday. Parked in the municipal parking lot, not on the free parking at the side of the road. Bought the max time, and headed out fishing.
When we came back, I’ve got a ticket. Seriously? Turns out the max time is 4 hours. Sure, I didn’t read, because I assumed max time was the day. Goodness knows I paid enough for the max time.
The ticket? Over $125 IIRC. Just a complete punative fine against people not from the area.
That’s the last penny they’ll get from me. I park elsewhere now, and none of the local retailers will ever see a penny. Screw them, I’ll buy my bait elsewhere.
Maybe I’m petty lol.

2 Likes

That doesn’t seem fair. I don’t imagine that fine would hold up in court (although it is a tiny fine) if there were no rules posted physically.

1 Like

Phone rings. Is so and so there? Me: who? So and so.
Me: I am think you have a wrong number. There’s nobody here by that name:
Them, starts to argue. Yes, this is the right number. It’s the number I was given for cheese on new Dundee road.
Me: lady, I don’t know anything about any cheese.

Annoying, I’m on the treadmill and you’re arguimg with me about my phone number?

1 Like

Reminds me of a past annoyance.

Someone apparently mixed up my work number for a fax number and set it up on auto dial. For a few days when I answered the phone it was often a fax machine. If I was away from my desk at meetings, lunch, etc, I’d have voice mails from the fax. When I’d come in the morning, my voice mail was full of the fax tone.

After a few days it was apparent whoever was doing it wasn’t going to stop, so I forwarded all of my calls to the office fax machine. It didn’t take too long for a fax to come through. When I called the dumbasses on the number they included on the fax, they argued that they had the correct number and I needed to figure this out for them. WTF.

4 Likes
1 Like

Corporate VPN not letting me into my email yet again. How many fluffin’ times do I have to go to IT??? :roll_eyes: :man_shrugging:

ETA: Now I can’t get into the valuation system!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I’m out getting coffee, over hearing conversations at adjacent tables, and O!M!G! this woman’s son doesn’t want to wear matching Hallowe’en costumes! His choices are a) something Harry Potter related, while she wears Slytherin robes, or b) a Dalmatian, while she dresses as Cruella de Vil, but he wants to dress up with his friends. Is that even allowed?!?!?

1 Like

So, I’m spending the morning in a car service waiting area.

I was in about 6 weeks ago for major service, and had a couple of intermittent items on the list as a “this has been happening; if you see something going on and can fix it, great…but don’t spend a lot of time looking around for something non-critical that might be difficult to find”.

One of the intermittent issues was HVAC related – sometimes the fan wouldn’t blow as hard as commanded (it had been going on for a couple of years) – and one of them was a squeak I was occasionally hearing from the wheels.

A couple of weeks ago, the HVAC issue became less intermittent. Since the risk of driving around in a New England winter without reliable heat or defogger seemed like a bad idea, I made an appointment to come back.

The HVAC issue was identified, and they had the parts in stock. That’s not the annoying bit.

They also identified the intermittent wheel squeak – rust on the rear brakes. I had a service manager apologetically give me dire warnings about how unwise it would be to not have that taken care of. That’s also not the annoying bit.

Total expected bill for today is $2k. That sucks, but isn’t the annoyance causing me to contribute to this thread.

The annoying bit is…why didn’t they catch the brake issue when I was in 6 weeks ago? If the problem was that risky, surely they should have picked it up during the safety inspection at my prior appointment? I’ve only put on 300-400 miles since then.

1 Like

So, the dad of the daughter of one of J2’s colleagues got piles of money from his dad to buy a car for each of the four grandchildren. The two older grandsons got them, the older of the two daughters got one (even a replacement after an accident). The younger daughter though, I don’t know the whole story but basically dad effing hates her, probably bc she has the delightful combination of being outspoken, take no nonsense, and has no filter. So she didn’t get a car even though she does have a license now. But now the question is, what did dad do with that car money? I guess so far his reaction has been to deny that there ever was money (kind of like how he almost denies that he has a daughter). :rage: I’m severely annoyed that people like him exist. No wonder colleague and dad are not together anymore. (I wonder how dad’s new wife feels about this, or if she even knows.)

I kind of got lost in all the pronouns there.

Yeah, unequal treatment of kids is tricky. I’ve seen it on the other side: several people in my circle were the sole beneficiaries of their parents estates despite having siblings. The reasons seemed a bit flimsy to me but I was not intimately acquainted with the details.

I know in my mother’s case at one point she & my stepdad had loaned SO much money to a stepsibling that he was out of the will… he basically got his inheritance early. But as the size of their estate grew (particularly after my grandparents died) the amounts became such that mathematically he’s back in now. What he owes is now well under 1/N of the total.

tl;dr:

• Grandpa gave Jerkface money for 4 grandkids to have cars.
  • Jerkface bought 3 of the 4 grandkids cars.
  • Jerkface didn’t buy for the other grandkid because he effing hates that grandkid because she is a strong young woman (which he probably doesn’t like in a woman).
  • When confronted about where that money went, Jerkface’s initial response was to deny that there ever even was money for kid-he-hates.
  • Therefore, Jerkface is correctly described in my story.
3 Likes

Maybe he used it for the car one of the other kids he likes totaled?

1 Like

Maybe. Although I’m guessing grandpa didn’t intend for it to be a zero-sum game.

Why does Google always point to a fing video now.

I don’t want to watch a video.

I want a simple text answer to a simple question.

I blame kids these days wanting videos…

4 Likes

IFYP… every time I hear/see someone say “influencer” as their job title, I want to punch things.

1 Like