Annoyed Thoughts: archive 1

I heard Hot Stuff (1979) and Heart of Glass (1978) so maybe the same playlist

Disco died officially on July 12, 1979.

First repair guy that came out was a rather young guy. It seemed like he knew what he was doing…that is, when he knew what he was doing…he even had a tagalong apprentice sort of guy, so he must have been smart enough to teach the next generation a thing or two. He was suggesting that we’d probably have to replace the whole damn unit. After ~30 minutes of tinkering around and using his special tools he said, “Naw…can’t fix it. It’s a Lennox. I’m not qualified to fix their gonkulators.” Well, something like that. Anyway, I don’t mind when someone admits they’re not capable of something rather than making things worse. He didn’t charge me for the service call, so other than still having an all-too-hot-house, I wasn’t too steamed…except literally.

Second repair guy was supposed to be there (the next day) between noon and four (or something). It gets to be about 4:15 in the pm & still nothing. I text the company & their like, “Oh, yeah, he was in an automobile accident. He won’t make it out today. All of our other technicians are busy. We can get someone out there on Friday.” (This was on Tuesday, mind you.) I’m like “Uh, no thanks. I’ll call someone else.” An hour later or something they sent me an email saying “Ooopsie. We didn’t mean this Friday. We meant the Friday two weeks from now. You still want us to come out, right?” No…no, I do not.

One more night of sweatin’ to the oldies…I get in contact with third hvac company & they’re able to send out a repair guy the next afternoon. He arrived a little late BUT they communicated to us, “He’s going to be a little late. He’s fixing someone’s gonkulator & it’s taking a little bit longer than expected because it’s not a Lennox (those are easy to fix, but not this one)”

So, he gets there. Assesses the situation. “Just need to replace the motor. Was the previous guy a youngin’? …'cuz this isn’t complicated.” He was a “local” fella’ but had been working with his dad since he was 5. It only cost ~$500, which is about 1/10 of what I was afraid I’d have to pay.

By the time I got home from work, wife was wrapped up in a blanket because it was so cold in the house.

4 Likes

Glad it worked out in the end.
I got my new capacitor in the mail yesterday and installed it this morning (without zapping myself!)

Boom - good as new. Sitting here in a freezing cold house just because I can :smiley:

2 Likes

glad it wasn’t the gonkulator

3 Likes

Maybe if you’re used to fixing Tranes then Lennoxes are complicated but if you’re used to fixing Lennoxes then Tranes are complicated. :woman_shrugging:

I know we had to get multiple plumbers out because several couldn’t handle a moderately-but-not-super complicated issue with our Delta fixtures.

1 Like

I never had my coffee today and now I have a splitting headache. Is it better to have caffeine now to help with the caffeine withdrawal headache or suffer through the headache and go to sleep early?

1 Like

If this was a call for me to voice my opinion, then I suggest the quoted.

If this was a rhetorical question, then a dime has 118 ridges around the edge.

1 Like

I decided on a very small cup of coffee. Feeling slightly better, but only slightly.

2 Likes

I can’t believe that this insurance agent thinks it’s a big deal that they offer FREE QUOTES!!!

4 Likes

Caffeine withdrawal is miserable. Sorry for your pain.

1 Like

I think I made the right call, I felt a lot better within an hour or two. Didn’t get the greatest sleep ever, but I got some.

1 Like

Are there insurance companies that charge for quotes? I’ve never heard of that, yet you constantly see ads promoting free quotes.

3 Likes

I’m gonna have to go on a diet. Diets make me hyperfocus on everything I put in my mouth. I can’t go off whatever diet I go on bc I have to lose weight and cut sodium or I will have a stroke. But I will probably have a stroke anyway because being on a diet is stressful. My husband will hate everything I cook because I won’t be using salt. I can’t decide whether to eat the frozen meals I have to get rid of them or to just toss them since they have too much sodium. What do I have in the house that I can eat? Lettuce & carrots & grape tomatoes, no dressing. Chicken breasts, but I don’t have time to cook them for lunch. I have a banana. I might have some unseasoned black beans. But they are canned so they probably have sodium.

1 Like

That’s frustrating. I too need to lose weight too, and am down about 3 pounds so far, with a bunch more to go. Good luck!

Regarding salt, your body needs salt. Can you add at least a pinch to a few things? Your husband can always add more at the table. Salt makes a number of vegetables so much more appealing. Like you can’t have kale without salt, and asparagus should be boiled in salty water and taken out before it gets mushy.

I know most of us get WWWWWAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY too much salt, but cutting it out altogether seems like overkill for an essential mineral.

When hubs wants to go overboard on salt, he uses Morton’s Lite Salt, which is 50% regular salt and 50% potassium chloride. I think they also make a 100% potassium chloride version. I’m not sure if that’s allowed on your diet, but might be worth a try.

As for the canned & frozen stuff, if it were me (and I’m a cheap actuary) I’d probably eat them, but sparingly. That’s your salt intake for the day. Maybe one frozen meal or canned good a week until they are gone.

1 Like

Somehow, I don’t get caffeine withdrawal, it’s very nice.

2 Likes

You are very lucky. I used to drink a lot of coffee everyday and for reasons, I quit. It took about two weeks before the headaches stopped and I was able to feel like a human again.

wouldn’t you just wake up with a headache if you powered through?

it takes me around 48 hours to go through caffeine withdrawal. less than a day seems fast.

Probably. I didn’t even think that far ahead, I just decided I’d rather be awake without a headache than awake with a headache. But yeah, you’re probably correct.