Annoyed Thoughts: archive 1

:nauseated_face:

I don’t hate the grocery store that much.

I used to feel that way, but i think they’ve improved the process. There are some brand that are excellent. The stuff that is sold unrefrigerated and keeps for months on the shelf still tastes cooked to me, but the stuff in the dairy section is very good.

I like the Fairlife milk, it’s ‘ultra filtered’ or something? Less sugar and more protein and a long shelf life. I don’t know if it’s ultra pasteurized. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

looks like:
https://fairlife.com/faq/#faq-how-long-does-fairlife-last-unopened

1. How long does fairlife last unopened?

Thanks to ultra-pasteurization, 52oz fairlife ultra-filtered milk has a longer shelf life than conventional milk. While unopened and refrigerated, it lasts up to 110 days (fairlife DHA lasts up to 90 days). Once open, however, it should remain refrigerated and be consumed within 14 days. Please check your product packaging for up-to-date storing instructions.

I know a lot of people who like that, but it feels very processed to me. I suppose I like cheese, which is highly processed milk…

The ultrapasteurized brand I like is

I never really drank ultrapasteurized milk until the pandemic, when I was trying not to shop too often. And I had some bad experiences with it tasting cooked or weird in the past. But now I drink it every-other week, and really enjoy it. (The other every-other-week I drink a local milk that is just pasteurized.)

I haven’t had it in a few years, but I’ve also tried fresh unpasteurized milk, which is legal in my state if you buy it directly from the dairy. I’ve had it from two dairies – one was superb, the freshest-tasting milk I’ve had since I was a kid and my camp got milk delivered twice a day from a nearby dairy. The other tasted… well, it didn’t taste terrible, but it didn’t taste fresh, either, and I decided I didn’t trust that dairy.

2 Likes

Whole milk that’s also ultra-Pasteurized??? Just stop, please.

There’s one fast-food place where it’s cheaper to get the meal, even if all you want is the sandwich & fries. (All I want to drink is water, which I probably already have in the car.) And they’ll let you have milk as the drink with the meal.

So a few times a year I’ll end up with a pint of Horizon organic milk because they’re literally paying me to take it off their hands. And… it’s tolerable in coffee. But to drink plain, no thanks.

Once when I used it in mac & cheese I failed to notice it. But I use 5 cups of milk in mac & cheese, of which about 4 2/3 c were not ultra pasteurized and only 1/3 c was.

I’ve used ultra pasteurized cream to make ice cream before because the only place that sells non-ultra pasteurized cream is a 25 minute drive. The ice cream was :nauseated_face: Now I drive the 25 minutes.

You don’t like whole milk? You are dead to me.

Also, how can you like ice cream, made with actual cream, and not like whole milk?

I’ve never seen ultrapasteurized milk at the store, I don’t think? But we have three young boys so we go through about 1.5 gallons a week, don’t think we need it.

Read the fine print. A lot of the cartoons are ultra pasteurized. The cheapest local brand usually aren’t, though, so if you are buying lots of milk weekly you probably aren’t getting the ultra pasteurized stuff.

But horizon, as twig mentions, is a pretty common brand and is ultra pasteurized. I’m not wild about that brand, either, fwiw. But probably for different reasons from twig.

Yeah we have a very small kroger with limited supply…they only sell the Kroger brand of milk there, and then the nondairy name brands. But I’ll look more closely next time I’m there.

Also curious if my heavy cream I buy for my coffee is ultra pasteurized. I also go through that really quickly but there have been times it lasted a little longer and it seemed to stay fresh for a while.

I do find cream lasts longer than milk. And I buy fairlife for my daughter and don’t mind drinking it. (I mainly use milk for cereal and cooking.) Hubby is picky about his milk tho.

We seem to have blown a circuit breaker or something and have no power in our bedroom. The last time this happened we went thru the box and mapped out each switch. (They were unlabeled and have a seemingly random order.) The fix itself was simple. We just had to switch out a thingie.

Does hubby know where our little map is? Of course not. And he wants to call an electrician bc he doesn’t remember what an easy fix it was last time. And he is the one who fixed it.

1 Like

You don’t need the map for this, just flip the one that’s in the “off” position.

I saw the typo before it got fixed; blink twice if Marcie is holding you hostage right now.

2 Likes

Nope, it didn’t flip to the off position. That would have been nice.

Do electricians generally think it’s funny to label the circuits in cryptic fashion with the lightest pencil they can find, or is that just every house I’ve lived in?

1 Like

IME, tripped circuit breakers flip to a middle position between on & off, they don’t flip all the way to off.

1 Like

Sometimes a tripped breaker will move so little it’s hard to see any difference with the others. Then it’s easier to find it by moving your hand down the panel to feel for which one feels a little loose.

3 Likes

This is good advice. You can also flip every breaker off and on if you don’t mind resetting all the clocks/appliances in the house. You can skip the doubles which generally run AC/electric ovens/heat pumps/other large amperage devices. Your bedroom circuit will generally be 15 amp. The breaker should have a satisfying snap to it. It if won’t lock in the on position, you may have a short somewhere.

If your bedroom shares the circuit with a bath, a GFCI outlet along the circuit may be the source of the interrupt. Our master bath shares a circuit with the hall bath, which is where the GFCI resides. The two upstairs bathrooms share a circuit, so one GFCI controls both. Not ideal when multiple hair dryers will trip the GFCI.

2 Likes

I think it’s code. Oddly enough, my current house is 110 years old, had an addition in 1968, a sub-panel was added at some point, and we have 3,200 sq ft - and the labeling here is as good as I’ve ever seen.