Annoyed Thoughts: archive 1

RN

I can order online at the one 10 minutes away.

If you want the fruit flies gone in short order, Raid for flying bugs is superbly effective. They have a safer in-home version if you’re worried about poisoning people and/or animals. I’ve mass geocided many a fruit fly in my college years.

Isn’t calling so much easier?

No. We just said it isnt.

Friend was very enthusiastic. I’m not sure I’d want to clean up the salt.

It looks fun. Hubby took it outside and “fired” it and came back with a grin. Maybe I’ll get it for him for Christmas if he hasn’t bought it for himself by then.

Dial
Hello?
Hi, I need a pizza with this or that. Delivery.
Yep. 123 Main Street, My Town.
Half hour? Great. See you then.

–OR–

Call up app.
Navigate to pizza.
Choose which pizza.
Tap buttons or do that flywheel thing until you get the correct one.
Checkout
Confirm
Add address (maybe)
Confirm
Add CC info (maybe)
Confirm
Confirm
Confirm
Confirm

I’d rather do it my way.

Maybe I’m old.

:getoffmylawn:

Yep. Nothing in the forecast.

I think much depends on the ease of using the app vs the quality of the customer service on the phone.

If they train their reps to be “friendly” and waste a lot of your time by having you confirm a crap ton of information they should already know and ask you how your day is going and listen to various spiels about their specials and how great the company is then that’s annoying and the app might be better. Especially if the app remembers your address and credit card and recent orders and is pretty speedy.

On the other hand, if the app (or website) is clunky and forgets the code on the back of your credit card every time and has such an annoying password requirement that you never can recall what your password is and the phone reps are efficient then it might be better to call.

I’ve experienced both.

[tangent]
Am I alone in getting extremely irritated when phone reps insist on asking how your day is going? On the off chance that it’s relevant to the reason I’m calling then my day isn’t going well which would be immediately apparent if you’d let me tell you why I’m calling. If it’s not immediately apparent then you don’t need to know how my day is going and you can just dispense with the time-wasting pleasantries and let me tell you why I’m calling. Also, if I had to wait 30+ minutes on hold while the rep listened to multiple other customers tell the rep how their day was going then… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

A pleasant “how can I help you today” is infinitely better than “how is your day going”.
[/tangent]

There’s a difference between easier and more straightforward.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I put my coffee down somewhere and I can’t find it.

Have Echo sniff it out? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I guess I’m lucky in that I don’t deal with “reps,” just the (mostly) women working the counter. We only get our pizza from pizza parlors (I told you I’m old). I’m also lucky that I have a bunch of places within 5 miles from my home from which to order and I do not have to deal with corporate pizza. (Off the top of my head, at least 15 places within 5 miles. Though we do have our favorites, and over the past 5 years only ordered from 4 or 5 of the places.)

I have friends who use the Slice app, but the app still charges the merchant in most cases. I’d rather make the call…

Now I have fruit flies buzzing around my bananas!!! ******in’ fruit flies!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Fair enough. I was sort of expanding the issue beyond pizza to a more generic call vs app/website decision for any business for which that is a choice, which includes a lot more than pizza.

It can depend on how accurately the person on the other end of the line takes orders, and on how particular one is about one’s pie.

1 Like

I’ve been calling to order takeout because I think the apps take a big cut of the revenue.

Well sure, if your alternative is Door Dash or something. But plenty of places have their own in-house app, including 3 of the 4 places we order pizza from (Papa Johns and two local chains).

The 4th only has Door Dash, so for them I call.

Full disclosure: Occasionally our kids badger us enough to get Domino’s, so like twice a year we will do so. I’ll use the app for that, because they often have specials that we take advantage of.

Our local pizza joints don’t have specials except maybe 2 pies for $20 on Tuesday or something, and we already know about those. If we order something close to a special they are good to let us know that if we order another large instead of the medium we can get a 2L soda or something.