Almond milk can still be called milk

Almonds don’t lactate, but they can still make milk. So says the FDA…

Soy milk isn’t milk either…but it’s probably more popular than actual milk from a world view

• Soy milk in the food & beverage segment holds the largest market share of 46.8%.

I’m up for an inclusive definition of milk (and meat), although we have to be good about it or it’ll make the word lose meaning (i.e. plant-based meat should taste/look like cow-based meat or call it something else, similarly for milk).

A chickpea is neither a chick, not a pea. Discuss amongst yourselves…

I wonder if it should be fro a nutritional standpoint or not.

Soy milk is a good replacement for milk because it’s also a good source for protein.

Almond…not so much

Obligatory Simpsons vid:

2 Likes

That’s fair. If Almond milk is just white water maybe it’s more of a stretch than soy milk.

Seems like “juice” is a more accurate description than “milk” but I don’t have strong feelings in either direction.

1 Like

Even though I grew up on a dairy farm, and thus sympathize a bit with dairy farmers, I have no problem as long as there is an adjective like soy before the word milk on the carton.

What really cheeses me off, so to speak, is the use of the word cheese on non-dairy products without any adjective. It is hard here sometimes to determine what is dairy cheese unless you look carefully at the small print in the ingredient listing.

1 Like

In the US I think the non-dairy cheese can’t be called “cheese”… typically it is called “cheeze”.

But what has almost gotten me (as in, it made it into my cart before I said “wait a second”) is when it says neither “cheese” nor “cheeze”. It just says something vague like “cheddar-style slices” or “mozzarella-style shreds”.

What they mean by “cheddar style” is:

WARNING: FAKE CHEESE ALERT!!!

(Edited to correct the spelling of “cheeze”)

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve seen that. Cheez is what I remember. Like Cheez Whiz and Cheez-its

That is what I wish Canada would do to help our struggling dairy farmers. We have a lot of non-dairy “cheese” products in our household that my children have bought and they taste like crap, to add insult to injury.

1 Like

Well those both contain actual cheese!

I guess it’s actually “cheeze”, not “cheze”… I will correct my earlier post in a second.

Examples:

1 Like

I wouldn’t like the word “cheeze” as a non-dairy name for cheese though because half the population here don’t know how cheese is spelled anyway!

Yeah, I wish it was off by more than one letter. But it’s something…

My daughter thinks that non-dairy milk should be called mylk without any adjectives. Just as bad as cheeze imo.

I would think buyers would want to know if they’re getting almond mylk, soy mylk, oat mylk, etc.

I think the most important thing is that it’s clear to a buyer of lower-than-average intelligence what they are buying.

“Almond milk” is pretty clear what you’re getting.

“Mozzarella-style shreds” is not.

“Macaroni and cheeze” is somewhere in the middle.

IMHO :judge:

Also… while I know that cheeze is not real cheese… I do NOT know what cheeze actually is.

I know not to buy almond milk for my nut-allergic niece. But can she have cheeze? I have no clue. I mean, I wouldn’t buy it anyway, but my niece’s other aunt avoids dairy. Niece would know to avoid almond milk when she’s visiting her other aunt, but can she have cheeze? No clue.