Alex Jones / Sandy Hook Trial

Do you think they’ll be disbarred? My understanding is that after “accidentally” sending the phone data, his attorneys for several days failed to claim the info as privileged, making it admissible. Now, the eternal Jan 6th Committee will be subpoenaing them. It feels a bit like the type of lawfare that some would try to reward.

It may meet standards of ineffective counsel to obtain an appeal, though?

My guess is that Jones sues his lawyers for malpractice later.

1 Like

Depends on how we define “significant” and where it’s getting applied.

“Significant” in regards to the Sandy Hook cases and the chances of criminal charges following? Agree, nothing significant happens - he will face exactly zero criminal charges.

“Significant” in regards to his attempt to file bankruptcy? I think it’s much more likely, depending on what information is in the texts and e-mails the SH attorneys have right now. Without viewing all the documents submitted, I’d guess what he filed in the bankruptcy petition is at least incorrect and easily disproven, and at a minimum the petition gets thrown out. (Whether he gets an opportunity to amend and refile is an open question.) If there’s anything in those texts and e-mails that show he intentionally filed inaccurate information in the bankruptcy filing, the chances for criminal charges go way up and then it’s a question of whether the government wants to pursue it. Disagree that nothing significant happens, I’d say it’s 50/50 until more info comes out - criminal referrals out of a bankruptcy petition are exceedingly rare, but this might be a case where it happens.

“Significant” in regards to J6? Alex better get his larynx fixed and prepare to start singing like the sweetest songbird the world has ever heard, because he’s going to pound-me-in-the-ass prison for decades otherwise.

His lawyer? As noted above, his lawyer is way beyond fucked.

If the transfers started after the first notice of a civil lawsuit seeking damages, they can still be seized. You can’t fritter away $150 million to a bunch of other people and the claim yeah, I’m broke, sorry - haha, fuck you all wanting money. Takes a little more work, but still doable and perfectly legal.

Of course, if you’re a corporation with a huge liability on the books that would sink your company, you just set up a new entity and put those liabilities on its books and then immediately put that entity into bankruptcy. People owed those liabilities get a fraction of it in bankruptcy, you continue on with all your assets.

If you’re an individual facing a huge civil lawsuit, you get all the judgments against you and then go file bankruptcy; the judgments get tossed out in the bankruptcy process and the plaintiffs get a big zero.

Judge denies Jones’ request for a mistrial because of the release of his phone messages.

Mistrial denied as jury weighs damages against Alex Jones in Sandy Hook defamation trial | Reuters?

1 Like

Doesn’t look like things are getting better for Alex

1 Like

it was only the latest request for a mistrial. all have been declined (obv)

popehat has that great article posted above. he links on twitter to the good twitter lawyers capturing it all.

jones is human garbage. deserves all the bad things.

1 Like

And this type of shit is why America has so many problems. The lack of punishment for those that cross a certain power/wealth line is damned near [redacted] in nature.

They outlined the compensatory damages per plaintiff. Maybe could have been higher, but sounds like much of it was emotional distress in nature. Any costs the plaintiffs had for measures they had to take to protect themselves would (should) have been included in that, and then some amount for emotional distress (which courts and legislatures have reeled in over time).

Vote on compensatory damages wasn’t unanimous. I wonder what the 2 who didn’t agree wanted to give. Also notable that I think one of the plaintiffs was awarded $0. Again, I wonder how they decided that.

Punitive damages are next. That will presumably be some multiple of compensatory damages, but SCOTUS long ruled that a multiple in the double-digits is likely inappropriate. Don’t fret, AJ is facing other lawsuits so there will still be costs yet and he’s going J6C and DOJ to worry about. What will be funny is if (when) he sues his attorney here, gets a malpractice award (damages I believe are capped at $250K), and that attorney legitimately files bankruptcy and AJ gets nothing.

Agree. And even if they get the judgment they still have to collect, which is no mean feat. I don’t think you can garnish assets in Swiss bank accounts.

As my father says, if you don’t believe that there’s a debt collection problem in this country, look no further than single mothers. Debt collection is SO bad that they had to create a special class of creditors for single mothers so that they have some minuscule chance of collecting the debts owed them.

That’s interesting. Dead beat Dad looking for a payday maybe? No one harassed him? Wild guess, may be way off.

Collecting debt owed to single moms? I’ll take your word that it’s really shitty. Even there, the father has presumably got a fixed amount they’re scheduled to pay per whatever time period because of their income and other obligations.

Collecting debt owed to medical providers? There’s debt-collection businesses and legal practices built around it - sometimes the lawyer controls the business - and they know how to abuse the courts to win judgments, collect fees on top, and then seize assets to eventually satisfy the judgment amount, regardless of the debtor’s income and other obligations.

:thinking: Almost like the two groups should swap places, except in one case it’s all excess money and the big players split the proceeds and get big bonuses, while in the other it goes to someone who truly needs that money.

1 Like

I would have never jumped straight to that thought, but you be you.

Yeah, and the agency takes 33-50% of whatever they can collect and write off a TON as “uncollectible”. Not a good solution for single moms.

Actually I don’t specifically know what medical debt collection agencies charge. But for other generic debt 33% is fairly standard for “easy” stuff and it goes up from there.

I want to say you’re confusing your thing with my thing. While medical providers “write it off” collection agencies that get those bills go after every last dollar and lawyers tack their fees on top and everyone splits the winnings. Knowing courts will back them no matter how flimsy the case, they’ll go file betting the claimed debtors won’t show and so they’ll get a default judgment which they can and will pursue forever.

But after you decided the reason the jury awarded $0 is because a “Dead beat Dad” - you know, a dad who whose kid got fucking shot to death at Sandy Hook - is merely “looking for a payday,” … I still cannot fucking believe you typed that.

1 Like

I’m not talking about judgments. Single moms don’t need judgments. They already have that.

I’m talking about collecting.

You can’t use a judgment to buy groceries or pay rent or pay off debt. You need actual money for that.

Getting a judgment is easy (assuming you have a legal claim to the money, that is). Turning the judgment into money is the hard part.

I have no idea why someone got $0. I assume it must be for a reason, although that’s admittedly not always a valid assumption.

And the only reason I could think of why you’d award a parent $0 in this case would be something like that. If it was a guy who took off for the hills when mom got preggers and never even met the kid and then only showed up at the prospect of a payday… that’s a guy I might award $0.

If the person was involved in their deceased child’s life, I would think they were probably entitled to something. Apparently you disagree and think that loving and involved parents should be awarded $0???

Do YOU have any thoughts as to why a loving and involved parent should be deserving of $0 of compensation?

BTW, I have $40,000 sitting here, in my house. (Actually a bit more; I forget precisely.) Would you like it? I’ll sell it to you for $3.50.

No, I don’t have any thoughts as to why that parent got $0. I’ve not researched all the details of all the plaintiffs in the case and their various claims, and I really haven’t done that for the plaintiff(s) that were awarded $0 and their specific claims, so I’m not going to speculate.

But if I were inclined to speculate, and presuming this particular plaintiff were one of the fathers of one of the kids killed at Sandy Hook, I would never in 100 years have come up with something as fucking ghoulish as yeah, so sorry his 6, 7, 8-year old kid got blown to fucking bits in his classroom, and yeah maybe he’s got emotional trauma from that, and then maybe he’s got emotional trauma from all the horrible shit Alex Jones said over the years that caused others to harass the fuck out of him, but … he’s probably a deadbeat dad, so, fuck him.

That’s truly Alex Jones-level thinking.

2 Likes