Didn’t have any kids or grandkids?

Enjoy your robot as you get old!

dogs seem better

dogs can’t talk!

Have you spent time with a Husky?

South Korea

2 Likes

seems like women’s longevity offsets the patriarchal male surplus nicely

Interesting updates on China, these estimates are already 25M lower than the pyramid charts earlier in this thread. That’s a lot of people.

1 Like

good for them. that means they are officially a first world country

From yet another conservative magazine:

According to a new UN report, China’s population growth has collapsed by 94 per cent, from eight million a decade ago to just 480,000 last year. What’s particularly worrying for Chinese leaders is that this means a rapid reduction in the working population. The previous set of projected figures suggested that by the year 2100, China’s 15- to 64-year-old population would be 579 million. This has now been revised down to 378 million, a 35 per cent fall. If this prediction plays out, the implications for China – and the rest of the world – could be brutal.

Today, every 100 working-age Chinese need to support 20 retirees. If trends continue, by the turn of the next century, every 100 workers will have to support 120 retirees. This means China will have the largest drop in working-age population among any of the G20 economies by 2030, with more than 23 million fewer Chinese. In percentage terms, Japan and South Korea will shrink even faster – but they became rich before birth rates began plummeting.

Huh, so the one-child policy has an impact on demographics… who knew?!?!

That said, I’m not sure what’s driving the rapid change in their projections. Did Covid drive people out of the dating market such that projected marriages (and the resultant planned pregnancies) are not occurring?

The business sector of China has become much more similar to the West over the last two or three decades, with big corporations and lots of tall gleaming skyscrapers everywhere. I imagine the growth of the corporate class would have similar outcomes to the west - getting married later and some people never getting around to have children.

True, but that’s a pretty big change from 3 years earlier.

Good thing China made that COVID to kill its older (65+) population. [/s, obviously]
Q: Is that graph somewhere?

I was referring to the change over the last decade - According to a new UN report, China’s population growth has collapsed by 94 per cent, from eight million a decade ago to just 480,000

Any change in the last three years is bound to be affected by Covid.

Well, their old people were already dying.

But indeed, it was a matter of when the turnaround occurred.

Looks like robot technology will be needed.

Luckily, they can look to see how well it works out in Japan first.

Interesting polling and an opinion piece on where we’re headed demographically. I don’t see any reason for someone my age (42) to have any worries about working for the rest of my days and my kids will be entering the tightest labor market in decades over the next few years. That’s way better than the shit market I entered into in the early 2000’s where entry level jobs required 2 years experience.

South Korea

South Korea recently broke its own record for the world’s lowest fertility rate. Figures released in November showed the average number of children a South Korean woman will have in her lifetime is down to just 0.79.