Actuaries in the News

Another Actuary came up in a really good FT article on investment that I had honestly never heard of. Article is free to read.

Lessons from a lifetime in investment - Lessons from a lifetime in investment via @FT

2 Likes

It’s an OpEd column, rather than actual news, but…

5 Likes

Nice shout-out, but the question really is, “how many current teachers deserve to be paid that much, and what will those who do not deserve it do instead for work?”

I’m sure some do, but how many?

2 Likes

I did a little comparison of primary teacher income to median income by country. Not quite comparing apples to apples as the teacher salary was the average gross income (for primary education with 15 years experience). I would assume that median is pretty close to mean for teachers. The median income by country is by disposable income. This would move United States up a little higher from its low position given its lower taxes. I only included countries in both lists (no UK).

2 Likes

Luxembourg is generally considered to have the best public schools in the world… and small wonder. It used to be the case that teachers were better paid than doctors. I’m not sure if that’s still true. Based on what I’ve learned about Luxembourgish schools, I’m actually surprised that the teachers only make $105K. But I think they also have a pretty generous pension.

Oh, and that’s just primary… guessing secondary pays more in Luxembourg, and probably less in the US as there’s likely more burnout at the secondary level and teacher pay is a function of longevity.

You generally get what you pay for in education? Germany has excellent education so not surprised it is near the top.

Canada is about where I figured it would be: teachers are paid relatively more than in the US. I was impressed with the teachers at the public schools our kids went to.

Not really news per se, or calling out an actuary specifically, but this is … well, just watch.

[The money comment is at 7:09.]

3 Likes

Wow! Maybe they finally see us! Next up, we should have a prime time drama series. Perhaps -

CSA (Crime Scene Actuarializing),
The Night Actuary
Designated Actuary
Law and Order: Actuarial Department
Next Level Actuary.

4 Likes