Actuarial Chess Club

bahhhhh

:lalala:

Yes…in there I only have the “You have been invited to join the Club ‘Actuarial Chess Club’ blah blah blah” message…nothing about a tournament. It’s all very interesting.

As noted in previous posts, I think I’m in. If the tournament starts and there’s no movement from me, give me a poke or send flowers to my widow.

Bumping the thread. We have 8 players in the tournament right now, which would give us 2 groups of 4. I’d like to see it grow, so if you haven’t gotten a chance to join yet, you can find the link in the chess.com club page

Tournament has started. 2 full groups of 6. The top 3 from each group will enter the “A” bracket in the future, and the bottom 3 will be the “B” bracket in the future. We’ll do promotion/relegation after that. Any new players will enter at the “C” bracket.

If you want a trash tier player I can join a C bracket…

I’ve started my games. It’s really cool how you’ve set this up through chess.com

Yeah, I subscribed to the premium membership to try it out, and when I saw I could create tournaments, I decided to set up the club. The tournaments are a nice feature, though it requires each pairing gets played twice (once as white once as black) which is a departure from RedSox’s format. Also now we don’t have to report results, but are certainly encouraged to post about interesting games/situations.

I’m expecting to get us to the point where we’ll have enough for an A/B/C bracket

Based on everyone else’s ratings, I will be happy to resume my spot in the C bracket :grinning:

Thanks! It took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to submit my move - I didn’t realize I needed to scroll the screen down, and I kept making move 1 over and over.

Lol, it took me that long to just figure out how to get to the games.

Thanks for putting this together, I’m happy to join. Just wanted to make note of something. Someone had mentioned this is correspondence chess, but I wanted to make a distinction with daily chess. Nowadays, with official “correspondence chess”, computer engines are allowed. However, with chess.com daily chess, computer engines are not allowed.

Thanks. Yeah, no computer engines allowed on any chess.com games. I think that’s expected by everyone here as well. Chess.com is constantly searching and flagging people for cheating. There was a pretty good video I saw about how they do it, and they only ban people if they are 100% confident that person was using computer assistance.

I found devilrox playing chess tonight and invited him to the chess.com group so he should hopefully join soon.

As an aside I won $10 playing chess tonight

I hope people don’t review my game against IPD… it’s going poorly for me to say the least.

I’m happy to be in the tournament, but all of a sudden I’ve got 6 simultaneous games going. Is that how it is supposed to work? I had only expected to be playing 1-2 games at a time, so this is more boards than I was hoping for.

Yeah, i have to take a minute just to remember which game I’m playing

Yeah, typically the AO tournaments would be the same, where your group would start all the games at the same time, with the groups being 5 or 6 players. However many times the games didn’t actually start at the same time because people were late or not paying attention. Now with these tournaments it forces all the games to play at once.

If we think the tournament is too much to handle, we can create smaller groups in the future, or a single smaller group for players who just want to focus on a couple games.

Mayan and I had an epic battle in our first game. Probably deserved to be a draw, but was a textbook “Two players only know how to attack” type game.

It’s a good thing I didn’t need a self esteem boost going into this tournament. Man you guys are good!