Actuarial Chess Club

This is my current collection:

1 Like

Thanks to @AbstractActuary, I’m most comfortable with the Advance Variation of the French; it’s what I try to play into as white. I played an IM not too long and I played into the Advance Variation. Knowing the opening theory and playing the Advance against some of the players here allowed me to keep the game even until move 36, until it became a king vs king and 2 pawn endgame.

I remember @Rick_Groszkiewicz always kicked my butt with the Winawer when I was in the 1100s.

The only chess book I own is by Silman, but it’s not on your list (you probably wouldn’t need it). “The Complete Book of Chess Strategy: Grandmaster Techniques from A to Z”

For me, the Winawer leads to more sharp and exciting games than other lines against the French.

“Well, I’m back.”

Hello! After a very long layoff I am back to playing chess, and ready for the next tournament (I did submit a request to join to the chess.com actuarial club, and my name there is still the same as shown on the first post of the thread).

In the meantime I’ve been working puzzles and playing 3–0 on chess.com, perhaps not the best way to prepare, but it’s getting me back in the swing of it somewhat. I’ve also been working puzzles on chesstempo, which I find to be better than chess.com for that.

I also dug out some of my old openings books. I’m sure nothing has changed since the 90s!

Anyway, nice to see the familiar profiles.

Jonas

2 Likes

Welcome aboard (and back)! We’ve got you set in the club now and our next tournament will probably start mid-late March so keep your eyes open for posts here and on the chess website.

1 Like

Airthings Masters Rapid online tournament has been a lot of fun to follow. 16 players round robin, top 8 advance to knockout stages. Nepo and Carlsen finished top 2 in the round robin but not without some losses. Carlsen in particular lost to 16 year old Praggnanandhaa and then blundered a piece against Hansen. Speaking of Hansen, the chessbrah defeated both Nepo and Carlsen and was by far the lowest rated player to advance.

QF are today, I would recommend finding a nice stream on Twitch or Youtube to put on and watch.

I know Magnus recently got Covid, so I wonder how much that is affecting his play recently.

Hit 2300 in puzzles yesterday. Waiting for my FM title now FIDE :laughing:

Don’t forget to include alvinaki (his chess dot com account) for the next tourney. I know he wanted to join last time. His true daily rating strength seems to be in the 1500-1600s, so he probably shouldn’t be in D.

Nepo and Carlsen made it to the finals of the rapid tournament. Day 1 and they drew all 4 games. Carlsen had a big advantage in two of them and Nepo in one but they could not convert. Day 2 will have them play 4 more rapid games again.

I’ve got a one day rapid tournament coming up next weekend. 10 games in one day. Should be fun and exhausting. No sections just a giant Swiss.

2 Likes

This was a lot of fun. 12 min game 3 second delay. I finished 5.5/10. 56 players total with 6 NMs and a bunch of other strong players.

Game 1- vs 1700. He opens d4 and I play the Dutch which he follows with the Staunton gambit. I only know this in passing but ended up in a playable position. I end up seeing a way I can win a pawn. Doesn’t look bad so I take it. He tanks for 5 minutes after I take the pawn, and finds a tactic I missed to win a piece of mine. We kept playing since he was low on time but he held on. He admitted after the game to me that he hadn’t seen that tactic prior to me taking the pawn and thought he was just going to lose.

0/1

Game 2- vs unrated. I’m black, Sicilian with early Bc4 from white. I go up a piece for a pawn and end up getting it down to my knight and pawn vs his two pawns. I have 6 seconds, he has 12, we are both playing on the the second delay. I pick up my king to take one of his pawns only to realize doing so would be stalemate. I have to move my king and with no time I move it away from the pawn it was defending, which he ends up winning. I sac my knight for his pawns to get a draw.

0.5/2

Game 3- vs 1200. Scandinavian as white. He blunders a knight/rook fork and his position collapses.

1.5/3

Game 4 vs 2000. I’m white in Alekhine opening. I go up two pawns. He has damaged pawn structure as well Queens and one set of rooks traded. I blunder a full rook, unforced. I had time and everything. Upset at myself I’m grateful for lunch break.

1.5/4

Game 5 vs 1400. I’m black in Dutch. Fairly even game, all the heavy pieces still on the board, he’s down to 30 seconds I have 4 minutes. I win his queen for a rook. Gg

2.5/5

Game 6 vs 1600. I blunder my queen early. Dumb.

2.5/6

Game 7 vs unrated. I win with a queen for rook sacrifice that direct directly lead to mate but wins a couple more pieces eventually.

3.5/7

Game 8 vs 1500. Caro Kann exchange with me as white. He ends up castling queen side but I quickly break it open and move my rooks over there. He has a fun king walk all the way to the king side and i eventually mate his king on h4. This was a fun game.

4.5/8

Game 9 vs 2100. I’m white in the Urusov Gambit. I go up a pawn early, but he wins it back about 15 moves later. He eventually wins another pawn. His rook + knight + 3 pawns (one on far side of board unopposed, two connected) vs my rook + bishop and two pawns (opposing his two pawns). He has great technique and wins this endgame.

4.5/9

Game 10 vs unrated with same score as me. I’m black and play the dragon Sicilian, my bread and butter. Yugoslav attack which I now love since I’m booked on it (thanks Giri’s chessable course). I trade into a winning endgame, which seems to be the way to win with the dragon, and march my pawn to queen.

5.5/10

4 Likes

I am definitely validating my rating in all of these games. I mean, sometimes I feel like what a brilliant move! only to blunder a rook 2 moves later. :man_facepalming:

Finally hit 2000 in puzzles. And actually staying around there last few days.

1 Like

Doesn’t it feel great?! lol

Your last opponent’s mistake was letting you play into the Dragon. Trust me, I would know!

In preparation for the next tournament (when is this happening again?) , I’ve been teaching @J0EBL0W the Evans Gambit via mock game courtsey of @IPD.

What a fun opening!

I am in fact trying to learn how to play chess. I’m starting to enjoy various gambits.