"A/C equipment" connected with my WiFi

As Lobsta says, if it was like internet is a utility and the sharing makes it stronger for everyone then it’d be all good but massive corporation quietly turns listening devices into wifi sharers? No thanks

1 Like

Hey, my husband bought me an Alexa, and after I while I decided it was more creepy than useful. So now it’s unplugged.

Yeah agreed it’s a bit creepy. I do like that I can just say “Alexa, turn on the office” each morning and all the various lights spring into life and then at the end of the day I can tell her to turn it off. And it’s useful for the TV so I don’t have to have the remote (although isn’t perfect).

The weather thing is useful too when I’m getting dressed.

Google assistant on the phone is also creepy, but I find it useful. But I admit, I flip light switches, use a remote, and look at a physical thermometer and maybe check my weather app, or overhear the radio my husband listens to, for weather.

I think I’d do motion sensors before doing voice-activated lights, though.

The things we ask our Google Assistant (we got it as a gift…)

“Hey, Google…”

Is […] still alive?

Will it rain tomorrow?

What does a dog sound like?
(we like to tease or dog)

That’s pretty much it. We don’t even use the voice feature on the Firestick remote.

this feature is actually really good for my kids. My 5 year old is pretty competent with the remote control now but when she first started using it it was handy to be able to just push a button and say “peppa pig”, etc.

We have 2 echo dots and do use them. I’m not really that worried about the privacy aspect, but I completely understand those that have that concern.

The most common thing we use the kitchen one for is as a timer. It’s nice to be able to set multiple timers for cooking via voice when your hands are occupied or dirty. I also check the weather, play music, ask random things that I might google,…