4th covid shot

In my case, it’s been six months since shot #3.

One of my wife’s providers contracted COVID and died after we exposed her last summer (she was vaxxed, but had other health issues, I believe). I don’t want to go through that kind of guilt again.

3 Likes

:astonished: that’s horrible. i like knowing that i haven’t exposed anyone at all and would like to keep it that way.

That sounds tough, and I understand the guilt. But it is hard to be certain that you gave her COVID (though you sound confident). Either way, also give yourself credit for the unknown lives that you have saved.

There may reach a point where you are performing a disservice to yourself with the # of boosters that you opt for. And even when vaccinated, you can still pass COVID to others. Much of this is wrapped up in Lucy’s “pandemics are bad” catchphrase.

2 Likes

Understood. And while our feelings about the provider’s passing are in mind (and perhaps distorted a little, because my father passed away while we were isolating from that bout of COVID), both my wife and I have other health considerations that justify erring on the side of caution. My wife, specifically, seems to pick up every respiratory bug that she’s exposed to. (It was a miracle that she didn’t catch COVID when I had my first case.)

However, we aren’t going to the extreme of caution of continuing to minimize contact with the rest of the world. Earlier today, I booked my first trip into the office since the Before Time (I live 5 hours away and used to go in about once a month), and I have a sequence of non-work trips coming up from late May into mid-July. It seemed wise to make sure my immune system is as ready as practical for other peoples’ cooties.

2 Likes

I didn’t even get the third one.

(or, more correct, the second one. my first was the J&J one)

1 Like

This is why I’m waiting a couple more weeks. I plan to travel memorial day weekend, and want to maximize my immunity then.

mrs f just got #4.

1 Like

For those interested in tracking these sorts of things, the side effects for my fourth shot were the second-worst for me: the day after I had the symptoms of a virus, and still felt off the following day, with my arm still aching a little today, 6 days later. (Shots 2 and 3 had me a little tired and achy until the evening the following day. Shot 1 had full-on chills and low-grade fever for a day after.)

My wife had no real side effects from the first 3 shots; however her fourth shot left her feeling virusy for 3 days, and a with a nice large welt on her arm for that timeframe. I’m choosing to interpret that as her normally lousy immune system finally got its act together after her long-haul case of COVID.

We’re both all-Pfizer folks. I thought about switching to Moderna given the reports of it performing better, but my aunt and cousin both had really nasty cases of Moderna arm, and I didn’t want to find out if I shared the wrong genes for that.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s how I would read that, too. Congrats.

I got a fourth shot on Thursday. Moderna. (Gotta catch 'em all.)

It was my second worst, too. My worst was the third. But i felt sick all day Friday, and had to force myself to eat a little. I had tea for breakfast, toast for lunch, and a samosa for supper. And just couldn’t eat more after the samosa.

Today i still have a red welt on my arm where i was vaccinated, and it stings a little.

2 Likes

I got mine Friday. Had Pfizer since the other 3 were Moderna. No arm pain this time but felt a bit groggy Saturday.