23&me surprises

I did have a poor experience with my dog dna test.

It only went back 3 generations, and it basically told me that 6 of my dog’s 8 great grand parents were mutts, so they couldn’t tell me much at all about 75% of his ancestory. They did call him a “mega-mutt” and said that less than 1% of all dogs tested are as mixed breed as he is. He looks vaguely labrador-ish, but that is only 1/8 of his dna.

Cheers to that! :wink:

Today I found out, that in the older version of the Emperor’s New Clothes, the “magical” clothes are invisible to any man not the son of his presumed father.

Im glad someone got it and the post was not reported.

1 Like

You’d have to be a jerk to report that post.

3 Likes

I have a half aunt out there somewhere, if she is living. (She would be around 70 IIRC.) While it would be interesting to know her, it’s hard to cone to terms with the fact that my grandparent, whom I loved, basically gave her away.

Hubby probably has a half sister. She actually reached out to him but he didn’t return her call. That surprised me, bc he sought out his bio mom some 30 years ago, and found a brother he adores. Sis is from his dad. My 20-something daughter is uber curious about the family members she has never known.

I am way more curious about hubby’s sis than my aunt.

You guys cannot just tease this without a probable explanation.

Did father-in-law sire an affair baby?
Did your grandparent give up a baby for adoption?

SUCH a long story but probable that his dad had a child either before marrying his mom or between his mom and step-mom. Or maybe even while married to his mom. We had known for some time this was a possibility bc of things that were said but hubby never pressed for details. Some time ago my daughter came across his obituary online and she had posted a comment there: “He was my dad and I never knew him.” We believe she tried to contact hubby but he did not return the call and she didn’t try again. He never mentioned the phone call until our daughter asked about what she found online.

Interesting. Do you mind sharing what went into husband’s decision to not return the call?

I could potentially be making a similar call someday and wonder how an inquiry would be/might be received.

I really haven’t talked to him about it. And I don’t understand it given the effort he put into finding his mom (which eventually lead to his younger brother). All I can think of is that his dad was a crappy dad and husband, and the existence of this sister confirms that. As if we needed more evidence.

It kind of makes me sad for her, that she reached out and was ignored.