2026 FIFA World Cup Discussion

Needs its own thread. No immigrant workers getting killed to build new stadiums and shit like that. Our stadiums are already built! Some need actual grass, but that’s fixable.
So, first up: stadium choices.

Arlington, Texas, AT&T Stadium; (T)
Atlanta, Mercedes-Benz Stadium; (T)
Baltimore, M&T Bank Stadium; (G)
Cincinnati, Paul Brown Stadium; (T)
Denver, Empower Field at Mile High; (G)
East Rutherford, New Jersey, MetLife Stadium; (T)
Foxborough, Massachusetts, Gillette Stadium; (T)
Houston, NRG Stadium; (T)
Inglewood, California, SoFi Stadium; (T)
Kansas City, Missouri, Arrowhead Stadium; (G)
Miami Gardens, Florida, Hard Rock Stadium; (G)
Nashville, Tennessee, Nissan Stadium; (G)
Orlando, Florida, Camping World Stadium; (T)
Pasadena, California, Rose Bowl; (G)
Philadelphia, Lincoln Financial Field; (G)
Santa Clara, California, Levi’s Stadium; (G)
Seattle, Lumen Field. (T)

CANADA

Edmonton, Alberta, Commonwealth Stadium; Toronto, BMO Field; Vancouver, B.C. Place. (All T)

MEXICO

Guadalajara, Estadio Akron; Mexico City, Estadio Azteca; Monterrey, Estadio BBVA.(All G)

What are the odds of the US actually hosting this and not being a fascist hellscape in the middle of a civil war?

1 Like

50/50?

Are there any teams that would be currently banned from playing in the US other than Russia and Belarus? Would Iran be permitted under current sanctions if they were still in place in 2026?

Venues to be announced June 16th!

I thought SoFi was not up to FIFA pitch dimensions?

I hope Kranky can’t cut out some seats and has to withdraw. Sure, it’s a nice stadium (at least in the fancy seats I sat in). Would be fun to see the EPL team owner not able to host a World Cup match.
On that end, why Tampa is not the short list makes me curious. It’s hosted soccer matches before. It’s got grass. It’s big.
Maybe it’s the Pirate ship.
Maybe the Tampa owners are already threatening to move again. it’s already over 20 years old, similar to the prior Tampa Stadium

The stadium was home to the former Tampa Bay Mutiny of Major League Soccer and continues to periodically host other soccer matches due to its accommodating field dimensions.

1 Like

I didn’t know why Tampa decided not to bid given a good stadium. I thought perhaps because Miami seems like a lock despite their stadium just being fine to me and not really in a great area.

So I googled: the FIFA potential spending requests scared them off.

The 1994 games still lead in all time attendance even though there were only 52 games back then. The 2026 games should crush all attendance records.

I’m not sure what spending is required.
Thing is, I think the turf stadiums chosen will get two matches minimum due to the cost of grassing the field, spread that bullshit FIFA cost.

Countries aren’t allowed to apply sanctions to WC teams — they agree to not do that when they bid to host. If FIFA allows them to qualify, they get to go.

Notwithstanding the WC bid requirements, I just can’t see US government policy being trumped by FIFA’s wishes. If the US had tough sanctions in place against Iran at World Cup 2026 time, do you think the US would relax those sanctions to let Iran participate in the World Cup just because FIFA says so?

I mean, yes? Doesn’t mean they’ll let dignitaries in, but the US government signs a guarantee of letting the sporting contingent of any nation that qualifies in, and could face billions in penalties and the US soccer teams being banned.

Cuba has regularly competed in the United States during the harshest sanctions.

(All of this assumes Trump or Desantis isn’t President, because if they are, we are basically in the fascist hellscape mentioned above where I think the tournament gets removed from the US due to civil war/unrest.

1 Like

I will leave this particular discussion on your sobering comment. I am hoping WC 2026 proceeds smoothly.

Yes. But it would probably be only the team and team officials coming.

I should have bought tickets for the Curacao game instead.

Be interesting to see if this draws a penalty from FIFA for governmental interference in the national federation or if that rule doesn’t apply to white countries.

One of the complaints being raised by the protesters was that Canada Soccer was paying the Iranian team a standard fee of $400K for the match so we were enabling Iran to profit from the game. I imagine that fee will still have to be honoured so Iran will benefit even more financially now as they won’t have travel expenses!

1 Like

Iran is suing Canada $10 million for cancelling the match. No word from FIFA.

An Ontario court awarded $107 million in damages to the families of six of the 55 Canadians killed in the Ukraine Air flight shot down by Iran in 2019.

Doubtful if either amount ever gets paid.

Still an improvement over the 2022 hosts.