2023 Tour de France

Wow that time trial was epic. What a performance by Jonas!

We’ll see if Pogacar has an answer in the mountains tomorrow.

Very strange time trial. First. Huge gap. Second. Huge gap. Rest of the field with small gaps. Is that even statistically possible or is there more to it?

The two of them are on a different planet than everyone else. A couple of days ago, Pogacar launched an unsuccessful attack on Vingegaard, but what was truly notable about it is that while he got no separation over Vingegaard, the other GC contenders who were with them were dropped as if they were standing still.

Was that the goat TT? Never seen anything like that.

Yes. Scaling for distance, largest gap from 1st to 2nd since 1962, possibly combined with largest gap from 1st to 3rd ever.

a 16 mile TT is insanely brief IMO. That said, the result was bonkers. Guy in 2nd nearly caught his predecessor (2 min man) and somehow still almost got caught himself?!

For comparison, in the famous 1989 time trial, LeMond set a TdF time trial speed record, missed catching Delgado by 4 seconds, and crushed Fignon. Fignon was 3rd in the time trial.

LeMond’s margin over Fignon: 58 seconds.

These comments hooked me.

Eurosport: Those on comms for the network suspect the graphic that put Vingegaard 20 seconds ahead of Van Aert after just five minutes of racing must be incorrect. I’m not so sure.

Just after someone in his team car says in his earpiece

“Today you show the world who is strongest.”.

At the same time, Pogacar is 25 seconds ahead of the current leader at the first-time check.

After Armstrong ( a pity it wasn’t natural) I never thought anyone would make me feel awe again.

that was the one where lemond was all tech’d out in aero gear and fignon…not so much?

mmmmm…milet fignon

1 Like

According to comments in other Internet forums, Tadej’s power numbers are his best ever.

I mean wVa smoked the reigning best time on the course, and looked like he was about to die at the end, never seen him that exhausted, and he’s a freak in his own right. And Tadej destroyed his time. If it wasn’t for Jonas coming with that all time great, we’d be marveling at Tadej’s run.

It was crazy to me how tadej made the decision to give up time to switch bikes, but Jonas still made up time on his time trial bike, above the 10 second time loss for the switch. When I saw that I knew it was out of this world.

Maybe Tadej will pull a Landis on Saturday.

1 Like

No thread for la Vuelta?

I think last year we just tacked it on the end of TDF. Thanks for the reminder.

Ooh, I should record it. CNBC

also on Peacock. I watched the last 30 minutes of today’s stage.

1 Like