2023 NFL Football thread

the turf has a higher rate of achilles ruptures. which are kind of rare for athletes in their prime.

a 39yo athlete…blends in with the wheelhouse of who the leading candidates to have an achilles rupture anyway.

i blame 39 a lot more than the turf.

Let’s not forget that Rodgers is the oldest player in the NFL at the moment.

I heard that he was immunized against Achilles injuries.

4 Likes

I decided we could use a fantasy football thread this year, so I carved out a few posts from this thread and moved them there.

4 Likes

Undefeated as a starter for the NY Jets!

3 Likes

some might’ve missed this: but the moderators have split off discussion around fantasy leagues to a separate thread.

1 Like

Honestly, you really only need one TO

1 Like

I understand, but having all 3 timeouts remaining is much less important when the team is up by 7 near the end of the game. I would definitely have used my first challenge if my team was up by 14 points at that point in the game.

Actually if it was this play:

• 3rd & 5 at BUF 23

(6:16 - 4th) (Shotgun) Z.Wilson pass short right to G.Wilson to BUF 9 for 14 yards (C.Benford).

They did show a replay from the Jets’ endzone and it was an obvious catch where he got both arms under the ball and cradled it as he rolled. So that was probably why they didn’t challenge.

Just rewatched that on my DVR.

Yes, that was the play. Wilson did catch it, but I wasn’t certain at the time in the heat of making a challenge or not.

Looks like i nailed this one prediction.

I doubt i will get anything else right about the 2023 season.

NFLPA begs to differ (though, of course the owners have their own studies):

The major problem with replacing turf for grass is the scheduled overuse of the turf, which is required to maximize revenue for the “stadium company,” which is often owned/managed by the owner.
I mean, MetLife Stadium is the classic example, as it will be used 17 times in 18 weeks minimum for NFL Football, probably twice a week several times. Guessing there other events scheduled. Same for SoFi. Lumen Field will be played by two soccer teams and the Seahawks for a few months. Alternative is to build more stadiums, because the grass will not hold up.
Not defending the use of turf, since I’d like to see it eliminated, merely providing financial greed issues and alternatives.

Interesting point in the article:

Howell said in his statement Wednesday that the union acknowledges the “investment” required to convert all stadiums to grass but also questioned why NFL team owners are planning to make those changes for the 2026 World Cup but not for their own players.

“While we know there is an investment to making this change, there is a bigger cost to everyone in our business if we keep losing our best players to unnecessary injuries,” Howell said. “It makes no sense that stadiums can flip over to superior grass surfaces when the World Cup comes, or soccer clubs come to visit for exhibition games in the summer, but inferior artificial surfaces are acceptable for our own players. This is worth the investment and it simply needs to change now.”

Well, FIFA and the Soccer Clubs care about their investments (players), which are generally longer-termed than NFL Footballs players’, who are replaceable.

1 Like

I was getting annoyed that this only became an issue after Rodgers got hurt (ignoring all previous injuries), but I have to confess that the Bears fan in me is happy that it only became an issue after Rodgers got hurt.

NFLPA has been asking this for a year or two now. NFLPA president has a column last November asking the league to get rid of as least one type of turf. Probably goes back further.

I would like to see the actual data on it. NFLPA says a lot more happen on turf. League says it’s not much different. Both seem to have a vested interest in embellishing/cherry-picking the actual numbers. A lot of people focus on big names getting injured but that could just be chance. Injuries happen everywhere.

I posted about this in the 2022 thread. The NFLPA believes slit film turf is most dangerous and wants it out immediately

Interestingly, NY had that allegedly more hazardous slit film turf last season and just replaced it.

I’m guessing that the NFLPA wouldn’t care if it turned out that turf and grass had equal frequencies of injuries. Why would they? They are concerned about injuries.

The NFL owners have a lot more on the line ($$$) in having studies turn out a specific way.

IDK. I think keeping the NFLPA happy by at least upgrading the worst artificial surfaces to the best artificial surfaces is a relatively easy and cost effective way to keep the peace. I cannot imagine it costs more than 5M per field, right?

Fixing the 10 worst fields (aside from Justin Fields - he’s beyond fixable) would cost less than the loss of A-Rod’s 2023 salary.

this seems like a no brainer to me. If the NFLPA thinks slit film turf is the worst, time to upgrade it ASAP.

Yes, that is a goal of the NFL Owners! How could I not have remembered this?
/s

Also, with faster fields (turf is faster), there is a faster game, and more exciting, and thus more revenue for Owners.
Wondering what the “best artificial surface” is, though. Internet results in two companies’ websites stating their products are the best.

Does it matter whether the stadium is domed and whether or not the dome is retractable?

As for some places bringing in grass for the WC or other soccer matches, for a domed stadium to install a grass field for one game is very different than trying to have a grass field for each NFL game played there.

Multi use is a real thing. I can imagine owners would be much less willing to put much else on their fields if they had to maintain a grass field for their NFL games which I would suspect would require them to ask for even more taxpayer money to build the things in the first place. Local HS around here have gone mostly to Turf because it is so much cheaper to maintain. And an added benefit is that the football coach is more willing to let (probably required) other teams use the football field for their competitions.

When I was in HS in 1980 our coach had a conniption fit when the marching band made marching trails all over our football field. Now every football field I see has football, soccer and lacrosse lines at the least. And the marching band uses it for their practices as well.

One other issue is trying to maintain a grass field in some of the places that the NFL plays into late December and early January.

1 Like