2023 Exam 9 Progress Thread

Going to start studying this week.
I’m going with TIA + CC + RF.

Let’s get this studying rolling!

For people who have used TIA, how are its questions, and what are its strengths?

Having failed a couple times now, I feel like where I need to get some practice is with problems where you have to approach it from an unusual direction. e.g. a question where you are given the difference in expected return for two optimal portfolios and you have to back into what the difference in risk aversion must be.

RF is great for getting practice with straightforward applications of concepts, but doesn’t give a lot in the way of twists. CC has lots of twists, but IMO they tend to the “theoretical will never be on an exam” variety. Casual Fellow doesn’t do practice problems from what I understand, relying on RF to fill that gap.

For those that took this exam before, which section(s) are the hardest you would say?
It’s so odd learning about “optimal portfolio” right off the bat. Seems so irrelevant for actuarial work.

Insurance companies are some of the largest institutional investors in the US. Seems reasonable for Actuaries to need to understand the investment risks

So far, just a few chapters into BKM, this gives me so much Exam 6 vibe.

Maybe mostly because I’m using TIA lol but I feel like it’s so theory based.

Anyone here use Anki flashcards and is willing to share?

Passed 8. Going to work super hard to get this done this year. Let’s get this.

3 Likes

Anyone here know when the study kit is expected to become available? and how much it costed (for those that took this exam in the past)?

It was $30 when I purchased it in 2021. It looks like I bought it in February. I do recall being able to find most of the papers in the SK by Googling.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

All this CDO’s and tranches are making me want to watch the Big Short again. lol

Tia was not good.

I for sure had anki cards. I have no idea if I still have them been a couple of years. I guess I can check…

TIA seems fine so far but def feels like it’s a high level summary and doesn’t go into much depth. I will most likely refer to source in my second pass to fill the gaps. I’m currently using it as the only guide.
I plan on buying CC when it comes out in mid January so currently I can’t compare until I get it.

If you do find it, I would really appreciate it if you can share. If not, no worries. Thanks!

Tia may seem fine and then you take the exam…lol

You’re scaring me :weary:
Just like with other exams, I will try to understand everything.
Go through questions from CC, RF and TIA (Past CAS problems).

I’m starting up during the holiday weekend. I used Crystal Clear last time, but I’m going to try CF/RF seminar this round.

I’ve been going through BKM 6-8 questions. It’s annoying to see how many mistakes I end up making.

Anyone got authorization to test yet