2023 Double Elimination Reverse Suicide Pool (with a TWIST)

Returning for the 18th 19th season is the Double Elimination Reverse Suicide Pool!!!

With a TWIST . . . see summary of change(s) at end of post

Prior Winners:

2005: Butters
2006: ReserveRage
2007: PosterNutBag
2008: Da Bears!
2009: Kid Rock
2010: Warrior04
2011: Random Poster
2012: Random Poster
2013: manaknight14
2014: Whiskey!
2015: therealsylvos
2016: Ultimate Anyone!
2017: accobra_kid
2018: Jahiegal
2019: 3Rookie
2020: OutDoorManNowActuary
2021 : twig93
2022: Kid_Rock

Rules:

1. Pick a team each week of the NFL season. If they win you get two strikes. If they tie, you get one strike. If you get 3 or more strikes, you are out.
  2. You may only pick each team once during the contest.
  3. If you fail to make a pick, you will get two strikes and the team whose ‘location’ is closest to A (alphabetically) will no longer be available to you. (E.g., city (like Denver), state (like Arizona), or region (like New England).)
  4. A pick must be GoA timestamped at least 15 minutes before the kickoff of the game the team is involved in to be valid.
  5. Do not edit posts with a pick in it. If you want to make a change, make a new post.
  6. If the game moderator(s) make an error in the official picks/standings post, you are responsible for pointing it out. Please either DM all game moderators or call them out in a post using @.
  7. If all remaining players strike out in the same week:
    a) If some players have 4 strikes and some have 3 strikes, then the 4 strike players are eliminated and the 3 strike players will continue on with all players having 2 strikes.
    b) Otherwise, all affected players will continue on to the following week. with the same number of strikes they had at the beginning of the week.

Special Week 18 Rules

If more than 1 person survives to week 18, the following additional rules apply:

1. Each player should DM a list to all game moderators of all 15 teams they have remaining, in order from most likely to lose to least likely to lose.
  1. Picks are due 1 hour before the first game of the week.

2. Once the deadline is past, a game moderator will post a table of the picks.

3. There are essentially 15 potential rounds to evaluate for week 18:
    a. For 18-1, everyone’s first pick will be evaluated using Rule 7 above to determine eliminated players.
    b. We then move on to 18-2, 18-3, 18-4, etc until we have a single winner.

4. If two or more players survive past 18-15, they will be co-champions.

SUMMARY OF CHANGES:

1. Wins are two strikes; Ties are one strike; 3 strikes and you’re out. So essentially, you’re give a bit of grace for getting a tie.

2. Rule 7 is adjusted to give preference to those who managed to pick a tie over those who picked two winners.

List of Players

Current list of players:

Index Player Abbrev
1 VorianAtreides VA
2 twig93 twig
3 1695814 _16
4 PatientZombie PZ
5 Doctor_Who DW
6 YankeeTripper YT
7 Funemployed Fun
8 Kid_Rock KR
9 Mountainhawk Mh
10 A_Student AS
11 UltimateAnyone UA
12 OutdoormanNowActuary ONA
13 Ezekial_Cumberland EC
14 R_Daneel_Olivaw RDO
15 Ted_Hoffman TH
16 Italian_Halibut IH
17 Jahiegel Jah

Whoa… that’s a significant change. :popcorn:

1 Like

In! So, if I get two ties and no wins, I’m still in. If I get three ties it’s either Father’s Day or I’m out!

5 Likes

alphabetically closest to the letter A?

Better not be like Eva Braun!

1 Like

Yes. I meant to add that to the rules.

I think I might try to put such a list together as it’ll make this more transparent . . . and allow for a randomization of such a list for future use.

Point Of View Star Wars GIF - Point Of View Star Wars Obi Wan - Discover & Share GIFs

I think the only real change from a player’s perspective is that a tie isn’t as damaging as a win; and will only come into play if your first two non-losses are both ties or if you’re part of a “Rule 7” situation.

Nobody is getting to New England, so it confused me, Carolina (area) and Atlanta (city) would make more sense, in that there is a possibility and they (w/ Arizona) are the first three alphabetically

Point of the example it help make clear what is meant by “location” (vs. mascot) and not to provide any sort of list.

But with a list, I can randomize it . . . or sort it by mascot.

In

I don’t know what “A” is. :man_shrugging:

Here is the list to be applied:
Locale Mascot
Arizona Cardinals
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens
Buffalo Bills
Carolina Panthers
Chicago Bears
Cincinatti Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Dallas Cowboys
Denver Broncos
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Kansas City Chiefs
Las Vegas Raiders
Los Angeles Chargers
Los Angeles Rams
Miami Dolphins
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots
New Orleans Saints
New York Giants
New York Jets
Philadelphia Eagles
Pittsburg Steelers
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tennesee Titans
Washington Commanders

Note: Los Angeles and New York are further alphabetized by Mascot.

So if you pick a team, you would simply cross it off this list; and if you miss a week (for whatever reason), the first team not stricken off would subsequently be stricken off.

So, you’re just going in alphabetical order?
I’m not sayin…I’m just askin

Current list of players:

Player Abbrev
VorianAtreides VA
twig93 twig
1695814 _16
PatientZombie PZ
Doctor_Who DW
YankeeTripper YT
Funemployed Fun
Kid_Rock KR
Mountainhawk Mh
— —
A_Student AS
UltimateAnyone UA
OutdoormanNowActuary ONA

Fail to make a pick for a week and you’ll see how it’ll play out.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
But the answer to your question is “Yes.”

1 Like

Week 1: Detroit

1 Like

Rams

1 Like
Player W1
VA ?
twig ?
_16 ?
PZ ?