2023-24 NHL Hockey Thread

I’m gonna guess it became a problem, and his play might have been compromised to those he owed losses to. It starts to compromise the integrity of the sport.

Buffalo could be a really good team if it had a goalie that wasn’t barely AHL level. But, it does - so, it’s doomed to follow the Edmonton playbook from about 2013-present.

After watching much of the Sabres/Devils game tonight I think the Sabres are like the 2010s Oilers and the Devils are like the 2020s Oilers. Both need a goalie.

I’m pretty convinced that Levi is the answer to the Sabres question though. When he is healthy I expect him to have a solid rookie season and then be a top goalie in the league within 5 years.

Ontario Reign do it classy:

LAK on ESPN tonight, so I get a rare treat.
(Gonna be $15/mo otherwise on local Bally’s Sports app, and why should I give them money?)

Especially since they beat the Leafs handily!

Canucks however may be the best Canadian team this year: should be some good Kings-Canucks games.

Good win last night!

St. Louis falls under .500 where they belong. At least they’ve got Colton Parayko for another 6 years so they don’t have to go pay someone else an average $6.5 million per ($8M this season and the two after) to be an underachieving wallflower on the ice.

Ottawa fans rejoice at the firing dismissal resignation of Pierre Dorion after his inability to pass along NTC info costs the Sens a 1st round pick in one of the next 3 years.

1 Like

Kings looking good on the road, will meet the brick wall in Vegas on Wed, though.

Vegas seems to be in a class by itself this year. Hope the LA-Vegas game is broadcast here.

What’s up with Edmonton? Yeesh

Goaltending terrible but McDavid only 2 goals in 9 games so far is also concerning. There wasn’t a single 9 game stretch last season in which he had fewer than 3 goals.

Goaltending has sucked (as long predicted). Per teh analytics they should be better - but, I think last year they overperformed teh analytics.

Also kind of goes to show that when your team is built around 4-6 guys, when they go cold you’re going to epically suck.

It’s on TNT for me. I’ve set up my YouTubeTV to “add to library” all LAK-related content. Also on Max, but I’m not sure if you have Max or whether that would be allowed to be watched in Canada.

Oilers are a surprise. On the plus side they have provided my Canucks with three wins already this season.

Canucks continue to be the Rodney Dangerfield of the NHL despite leading the league in GD. Their offence, defence and goaltending are superb so far.

They will be tested later this week as they play three games in four nights on the road against the Eastern Canada teams. Those teams tend to get up for the Vancouver visitors.

1 Like

Good effort by Kings. Nice to see that Vegas is not invincible. Looking forward to Vegas match here on the 30th.

LA beats StL convincingly, and it was shown on a local over-the-air channel (instead of Ballys) that my YouTubeTV carries, and it magically “recorded” it for me, because I asked it to “record” all LA Kings games. With Cable/TiVo, I’d have to figure that out for myself. So, +1 to YouTubeTV.

Kings look like the strongest team in the Western Conference right now

Seems to be some separation happening in the Pacific Division.
Kings have two games in hand relative to VAN and VEG. They’ve had a lot of days off the past couple of weeks.

They are lucky. Canucks have looked tired on their many back to backs recently.

Going to see the Kraken tonight (SJ) and Friday (Van). Hoping they can win at least one of those. Watched their game on Monday (Flames) and it was mostly solid play interspersed with some very sloppy moments that ended up losing the game for them in OT

No games last night. Zero. 14 tonight, though. Then no games tomorrow, then 15 on Friday.

Good news: clearing out all these days without games gives players the chance to play 18 or 19 games in the 31 days in December and March.