2022 NFL Football Thread

Noooooooo!!! Let’s hear it for the Bengals! Who Dey!

I can believe that. The season-ticket holders of each team got first shot. That’s at least 50K each right there. Supposing half of each would rather spend a few days in Atlanta than their winter wonderlands. Make a vay-cay out of it. Hit Florida before or after.

Also guessing that there are travel companies booking hotels and chartering flights. They are both likely to win this weekend. And if not, the tickets are fully refundable. And if you can’t make it, the resale market could result in a profit.

Chiefs and Bills season ticket holders did get first crack. Anyone else interested had the opportunity to sign up for a “presale” that started at 10am ET today. I imagine all/almost all of the seats will be gone before they open sales up to the general public Monday

ELF doesn’t have remotely close to the attendance of NFL. Doubtful they have the TV viewership either. (Are the games even televised?)

I picked, at random, the Hamburg Sun Devils. I don’t see attendance numbers, but their stadium seats 11,000. The smallest NFL stadium (Soldier Field) seats 61,500. AT&T Stadium has a capacity of over 100,000. I think it’s safe to say the attendance numbers are not in the same ballpark (pun fully intended).

But there are at least 4 bathrooms. 2 boys and 2 girls.

And there’s parking for at least 300 cars in the lot.

And public train stations are only 2 or 3 miles away.

And without escalators there’s only about 15 flights of stairs to get to the nosebleed seats.

And beers only cost $16.

And it’s only below 0*F for half of the games at most.

And if you squint when you look at it it’s not THAT ugly.

And to get tickets you only need to fork over a PSL license of like $25,000 per seat.

1 Like

Got the attendance figures. League-wide they’re averaging 3,200 a game. Team averages ranged from 435 to 8,755. Individual games ranged from 300 to 12,055.

I have no doubt an actual NFL team would do way better than that. And, lesson (hopefully) learned… don’t bother putting a team in Istanbul.

But still… the best attended team had fewer spectators in a full season than the NFL typically gets in a single game. And that’s with a season that doesn’t overlap with soccer.

So far your guys are looking pretty dominant.

3 Likes

Good game so far. Offense looks great. D is holding in the red zone.

Homefield advantage is a complete myth

First time this year that I have watched the Bengals play. Pretty impressed. Chiefs may be in trouble next week.

2 Likes

Depends how you define it but it seems to vary from about 1.5 to 2.0 point advantage to play at home from season to season. It’s not big but it’s not a myth.

1 Like

Especially with Mahomes ankle. Not that that’s an excuse but it will clearly be a factor. But Bengals are good. They had some post SB hangover early in the season but they’ve shook that off and have looked good for sure.

1 Like

I did some “analysis “ on it a few years ago.

Iirc, on average the home team scored ~2.5 points more per game.

During the COVID years, the advantage disappeared.

I have to like the Bengals with Mahomes ankle next week. I think the Eagles at home will be really tough to beat because their offense is impossible to game plan against, but it will be a lot closer that this week.

Yeah the Giants had no answer, I gotta figure SF or Dallas will be a tougher test. Especially SF, but Philly can do some things that can cause SF issues.

I liked Burrow’s answer about the neutral site AFC Championship game: “you better send those refunds!”

3 Likes

the conference games will be excellent on paper. all teams make it there without a lot of question marks.

biggest one is maholmes.

So what does the NFL pay the refs for next week?

Andy Reid Bowl (Iggles vs Chefs) or 80s SBs Rematch (Bungles vs Niners)?

Great googily moogily

2 Likes