2022 NFL Football Thread

The article is three years old

That pft one is, but the league taking $7.5M from each team’s revenue sharing portion is fresh news from the owners meetings this week.

1 Like

One would hope that the TV contracts included a clause for when a team or two to move to L.A., there would be an increase in L.A. ad revenue, which means more money for networks so more money for owners (which should mean more money for players).
But then the Chargers moved to L.A., so the revenue probably didn’t go up as much as it otherwise would.

Yeah, I was responding to AI’s news that they are taking it out of the revenue sharing that the teams receive.
As I understand it, the team revenue is the basis for the cap. Player’s get a fixed percentage(48.8%) of revenue.

I included the other, older article to point out that the cash inflow that the owner’s have seen from all the relocation fees over the past years (more that $1.5B) went into the owner’s pockets, and was not considered revenue for the purpose of the salary cap.

After reading this, I am not certain if the NFL withholding revenue sharing to pay the settlement would exclude that amount from AR.

Are you telling me that changing all the markings on the field from yards to meters wouldn’t be sufficient to modify their thinking?

Of course: I was just kidding about metric.

Pollard -was- better than Elliott. Elliott was injured.

This is my problem with a lot of retrospective analyses; most ignore context.

What context do you think the analysis should have included here? Look at next gen stats for everyone except Elliott, and add on some extra speed to him to compensate for him not feeling 100%?

A different usage of terminology, beyond implying that 2021 performance will be the same in 2022.

I’m not a Zeke super fan, but ignoring context of 2021 performances is a good way to overvalue/undervalue 2022 situations.

Mommas, don’t let your babies grow up to be footballers…

I guess that is part of the attraction: to escape getting CTE. Like free-base climbing?

We’ll be seeing a lot of Leonard Fornette this year. Not on the field, likely, but if you see him you will see a lot of him.

1 Like

I like the “donut shy of 260” comment. Sounds like he had a lot of donuts in the off-season.

Interesting reporting on clause in Kyler Murray’s latest contract. One would think this was unnecessary but I guess not:

• NFL Network reported Monday that Murray will be required to do at least four hours of “independent study” before each week’s game. This study material will be provided by the team, and time spent in team meetings for normal game prep does not count toward the four hours.

• To earn those four hours of weekly credit, the team will monitor Murray’s iPad usage to ensure he avoids activity that might “distract his attention” (actual contract language!) while he does this independent study.

Sounds like he can just hire an intern to “page” through his ipad.

1 Like

Seems strange to me he would agree to this

Does Mr Murray have a “reputation” for “not putting in the study time” or is this just one of those “kids these days” things?

1 Like

My guess is that he didn’t want to be in every “team meeting” on scouting of opponents, and this was causing some “contention” within the locker room. So this was the compromise.

2 Likes

Yes, this.

Murray had the lowest QB Wonderlic score the year he was drafted. It sounds like he is not book smart at all, and ignores the need to prepare off the field for what he needs to do on the field.

Murray’s relationship with the Cardinals is on its way to being over. This is the beginning of the end. The fuse is lit, we’re just waiting for the inevitable “boom.”

This is a train wreck when the trains are miles apart and heading toward each other at full steam. Why would the Cardinals invest so much money into a player who is incapable of motivating himself to succeed? It was a bad move, it was a bad choice to let this disciplinary issue come to light. The GM basically said “Here’s $160 million dollars, you lazy dumb ass”

2 Likes

The $160 million guaranteed surprised me. Presumably there is a significant financial penalty if he doesn’t do “his homework” but Murray’s agent surely smart enough to be sure he complies.