2022 MLB Baseball Thread

Watching “An Uncivil War” documentary about dodgers v nyy.
The LA establishing shots are all current.
To wit: just showed the Santa Monica Pier’s Roller Coaster, which was built in 1996.

Another fun one: the tallest building (originally called the Library Tower) in the background of a shot with Dodger stadium in the foreground wasn’t built until 1987.

Judge may get a discount in the price he pays for the ball as it was the Jays’ bull pen coach that retrieved the ball rather than someone in the stands. Then again….

Roger Maris Jr. was in the stadium last night for the big event. In 1961 I, like most other Yankee fans, was hoping Mantle, rather than Maris, would break Ruth’s record if it was going to be broken. Much more excitement in 1961 than 2022 over the home run chase. The entire 1961 Yankees team was awesome.

well, it was the MLB record too. an iconic record and Mantle was neck and neck with Maris for much of the season, increasing the anticipation.

Also, add in the debate of the longer season.

Certainly the 1961 HR record pursuit and Hank Aaron’s later pursuit of Ruth’s 714 HR’s were much bigger events than Judge’s achievement

1998 generated more excitement

2 Likes

also, not sure if anyone cared or thought about it - he tied Ruth within 154 (number of games back then), but took 155 to pass him

The Yankees played 155 games in Ruth’s 154 60 HR season I believe. Suspended games counted for stats or something like that.

The nightly Sosa McGuire watch was awesome. Amazing that Sosa has 3, 60+ HR seasons and lead the league in HRs in none of those 3 seasons.

1 Like

I have assumed Judge doesn’t use steroids so admire his feat more than some others with higher numbers.

I hadn’t been paying much attention and had never really thought about the AL record. I was thinking the interest was a strange you-beat-the-asterisked-guy and we’ll just ignore the should-have-been-asterisked-guys. I’m glad it makes more sense than that.

In all honesty, I think your interpretation is the real one if not the one said aloud.

Other than by Maris Jr. who ignores his dad’s asterisk

No one has mentioned it, but the Chi-Sox have put La Russa out to pasture. A manager search thus begins.

Ozzie!

Ozzie!

Ozzie!

My enthusiasm after this disaster of a year is so deflated that it is hard to get excited about a replacement. I don’t know if it’s a good idea, but Ozzie sure would be fun.

Or at least interesting.

Phillies doing their very best to extend their playoff drought by going 0-6 v the CUB this year after being swept in Chicago today.

SO we got a week or so left… Playoffs look to shake out like this:

AL: Yankees, Astros, Cleveland all locked up as division winners. Blue Jays are the host wild card, and the 2nd wildcard is down to Rays and Mariners both tied at 70 losses.

NL: Dodgers-definite and Cards-probable as division winners. Mets/Braves too close to call but the non-winner of that race is host wildcard. The Padres are in the lead for the 2nd wildcard but Phillies and Brewers are still being mathematically alive longshots to perhaps catch the Padres should those Padres falter this week.

AL MVP/Cy Young: Aaron Judge is a lock and Verlander looks to be unassailable as well.

NL MVP/Cy Young: Paul Goldschmidt finally breaks through and Sandy Alcantara seems like the favorite

There are 3 WC spots this year DP. The only race is will Philly complete their collapse and let the BrewCrew slip in. Also SD has been LAD’s bitch for years so I guess they could do a fold job. And who wins the NL east for the #2 stop which is kind of a big deal.

If the season ended today -
AL
Toronto#4 would host Tampa#5 in a best of 3 (all 3 in Toronto) the winner will play Astros
Guardians#3 would host Seattle#6 in a best of 3 (all three in Cleveland) the winner will play Yankees

NL
NLEAST loser (ATL/NYM)#4 would host SD#5 in a best of 3 at ATL or NYM the winner will play Dodgers
Cardinals#3 would host PHI/MIL#6 in best of 3 the winner will play #2 NL EAST Winner (ATL/NYM)

The worst division record winner is automatically the #3 seed so team that loses the East with the 3rd best record in the NL will have to play the Dodgers in round 2 which seems a bit unfair to the Dodgers who have already set a franchise records with 107 wins. Seem like they might prefer to draw the ST/6seed win instead of the Mets or Braves and likely have to beat both of those teams.

btw, the Mets have a 1 game lead, but also have a 2 game lead in the head to head.

So, if Mets win one game against Braves they win the tie breaker

Yes Mets are in the driver seat for sure. Braves likely need to sweep to win the NL east but stranger things have happened.

I find the last 10 W/L records of the AL Wildcard “Contenders” interesting