2022 FIFA World Cup Discussion Thread

For the first round I expect the posted ticket prices in NYC area won’t be different than anywhere else? If you are talking about resale (aka scalper) prices that will be also a function of what teams are playing rather than just the location. Deep pocketed fans from any affected country will go to where their team is playing.

Yes we know you are Mr PVR

I suspect that tickets for these games will be “sold out” and then put on legal scalper sites (StubHub, TicketMasters’ resale site, etc.), like Taylor Swift’s and The Boss’s concerts.

1 Like

Yes we have already had the “upset” du jour

If it’s handled like Olympic tickets, the only way to be sure to get tickets on the first go-around may to buy Uber-expensive packages including games you don’t want to see? Otherwise it is a lottery like the Taylor Swift tickets as demand will far exceed supply.

As a 72 year old, I would view the 2026 World Cup as probably the last chance to attend a WC. I will dip into the kids’ inheritances to attend a Canada game! Doesn’t matter whether it is here in Vancouver or in Toronto, I will find a way to be in the stands.

So, when does FIFA ban and fine God for making rainbows in the first place?

3 Likes

Well in that part of the world, it seems the only rainbows you are likely to see are the pride ones.

Waaah, we want more action, but not more time added to compensate!! STOP THE CLOCK LIKE IN OTHER SPORTS!!!
– Americans, every four years.

From some book:

Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him:
“I now establish my covenant with you and with your descendants after you
and with every living creature that was with you–the birds, the livestock and all the wild animals, all those that came out of the ark with you–every living creature on earth.
I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be cut off by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth.”
And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come:
I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.
Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds,
I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life.
Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”
So God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant I have established between me and all life on the earth.”

1 Like

Fun fact: The combined cost to build all eight Qatar stadiums was less than the cost of SoFi Stadium (which isn’t even big enough (yet) to hold a soccer field).

Qatar’s World Cup venues are as spectacular as the tournament they will host. And though the combined price tag for building or refurbishing all eight stadiums was less than what Stan Kroenke paid for SoFi Stadium alone, the cost of construction was enormously high in human terms.

Slave labor is great, eh?

3 Likes

Down in Dubai, G-d makes it snow in a building. I imagine G-d could make a rainbow in a building in Qatar if there were Divine will for such.

Stadium 974 is all shipping containers stacked. And if the seats don’t actually need to hold people, can cut down on material quality there too.

In case some of you don’t know this story of one of the other greatest upsets in World Cup history:

“ 1) England 0 USA 1, Brazil 1950

The biggest upset up to that point in the competition’s history and one so shocking that some newspapers assumed the wire report of a 1-0 final score was a typo and so instead reported that England had won 10-0. That is a myth, apparently, but nobody could blame editors at the time for not believing the turn of events in Belo Horizonte. An England team featuring players such as Billy Wright, Tom Finney and Stan Mortensen were meant to wipe the floor with an American side made up largely of amateurs and who had arrived in Brazil having trained for only a week together. Even their own manager, Bill Jeffrey, described them as “‘sheep ready to be slaughtered” but in their second group game they performed like lions, taking the lead through a 38th-minute header from Joe Gaetjens, a Haitian-born dishwasher from New York, and holding on during a second-half onslaught from England to complete the so-called “Miracle on Grass”.

This should be a non-paywalled link

1 Like

Saudi Arabia declares a national holiday for tomorrow in light of its upset win over Argentina. Seems over the top….

No idea, but I plan to be all in on trying to get tickets.

1 Like

Why is it, with GER v JPN on, I feel a need to make bad WW2 jokes?

1 Like

OMG Japan!

1 Like

I’ll add to this: I’ll of course be trying to land tickets for as many Atlanta matches as I can. I’d consider renting a condo either in Philly or NJ with friends for a few weeks to try to get in on the Philly/NY/NJ matches. It’s a pretty easy train ride between those venues.