2022 FIFA World Cup Discussion Thread

Everyone who placed bets on Ecuador’s performance in Qatar, your tickets are still good.

1 Like

Probably should create a new thread for “non-World Cup Nation Soccer Discussion”…
Watched NOR-SWE. NOR looking pretty good despite not making the WC. SWE made it close late.
Watching for Haaland. MCI will be a very different team, with a true striker. I wonder if he’s ready to press, as he hardly pressed at all. Maybe it’s the nature of the NOR team. Also, third tallest player on the team out there yesterday.

Game at 1pm CDT on FS1.

Caesars has it as Peru -140 / Australia +350 / Draw +210

High in Doha today is only 96 and it will be 90 for the 9pm local kick.

Australia and Peru have been to the same number of world cups - 5 each

AUS - 1974, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018

PER - 1930, 1970, 1978, 1982, 2018

0-0, HT. Australia weathers a flurry from Peru to keep things even. Feels very much like whoever scores the first (and only) goal will win.

Just started up my 60 minutes worth of free fox sports. Hoping no extra time.

May have to put another coin in to buy more time.

I think I’m gonna run out of quarters.

0-0, end of regulation. Peru looked like it wanted to try and catch Australia on the counter and mounted a couple offensive pushes, but otherwise seems content to lay back on defense and see if it can fend off the Aussies without something catastrophic happening.

0-0, 105’. This will go to penalties, barring unexpected.

Then, I wouldn’t be shocked if it takes 4 or 5 attempts by each side to finally hit the net.

107’ - and right after I type that, Peru nearly buries one but the header goes off the post.

I am impressed by the amount of Peruvians in Doha

Keeper sub for AUS for PKs.

Penalties, it will be.

AUS: S G G G G G – 5
PER: G G X G G S – 4

:australia: :australia: :australia:

Wow!

1 Like

Unorthodox technique by the AUS keeper, but it works in the end.

Change the keeper and he makes the winning save for the Aussie’s

The best way to qualify against a much more fancied opponent is probably what Australia did. Take them to penalties. (Also, play them during a pandemic so that there’s no home and away, in a really hot country that you’ve already played one match in).

Brings back memories of 2006 when they qualified with penalties (against Uruguay) for the first time in 32 years.

Aussie PK keeper went full Concacaf. Not only did he do the dancing on the line routine, he also stripped the Peru keeper’s cheat sheet/scouting report off his water bottle and tossed it behind the boards.

1 Like

Game at 1pm CDT on FS2.

Caesars has it as Costa Rica -118 / New Zealand +370 / Draw +170

High in Doha today is only 95 and it will be 89 for the 9pm local kick. (Fun fact - it will be warmer in Minneapolis today, temp is forecast to hit 97).