2022 Exam 9 Progress Thread

Is anyone clear on the difference between a single purpose reinsurer (CAT bonds) and a special purpose vehicle (e.g. sidecars)? They are both reinsurance companies, right?

Is it just in their activity? SPRs act as a third party to disburse funds in an event or return funds+interest, while a special purpose vehice is actually in the business of insurance (collecting premiums and paying claims)?

I think sidecars are potentially not reinsurance, but shady side work.

Has anyone been able to register for the spring sitting?

I canā€™t select a source in the dropdown and wasnā€™t sure if itā€™s just me or itā€™s the CAS.

Registration is supposed to open tomorrow

Well thatā€™s embarrassing!

The holidays have my days all mixed-up, so thank you!

Still canā€™t register without getting some line error

It seems like only these exams are open so far

I was just able to register. In it for FCAS

me too, just registered

The link in exams&registration didnā€™t work for me (line error). Then I ended up in the online store and there was an Exams link that took me to a different registration page.

1 Like

Thanks, that worked

Got my PearsonVue email. Looks like The Force will be with me on exam day.

1 Like

Iā€™m registering now. There are two options for exam location: Pearson Vue Center and Pearson Vue Testing Center. Does anyone know the difference?

One is allowed, one is not. I canā€™t remember which is which.
Itā€™s sort of like the difference between ā€œowned and operated byā€ and ā€œwe have a spare room we want to set up as a test center.ā€

Or maybe Iā€™m mixed up if they are actually giving you both options.

FWIW Iā€™ve taken exams at two different Pearson sites. They are both called ā€œPearson Professional Centersā€ in my list of options.

Itā€™s the first week of January, so I guess itā€™s time to start studying for this thing. Re-upped my CF/RF subscription from last time.

If one is allowed and one isnā€™t, thatā€™s just really stupid considering they donā€™t seem to say anywhere what the difference is.

Hopefully it just doesnā€™t matter and the CAS sees that I registered for a spring exam and they send the necessary info to Pearson Vue regardless of the choice made.

Hereā€™s from the old FAQ:

Q: Why are my location choices only Pearson Professional Centers? (Updated July 24, 2020) A: CAS has chosen to offer exams in the Pearson Professional Centers only, due in part to the higher level of security, consistent check in procedure, and testing environment they offer for our high stakes exams. The centers are owned and operated by Pearson VUE; no third parties are involved, except in rare circumstances in three countries where Pearson VUE does not have any testing centers.

And from a random Google page:

What is the difference between a Pearson Professional Center and a Pearson VUE Authorized Test Center? The key difference is that Pearson Professional Centers are owned and operated by Pearson VUE, providing more control over the environment. Pearson VUE Authorized Test Centers are third party test centers that have contracted with Pearson VUE to deliver high-stakes exams. They are found in training centers, academic institutions, corporations, correctional facilities and U.S. military installations around the globe.

The descriptions you used are different from both of these, so I donā€™t know what that means. My testing location is ā€œPearson Professional Centers-City, Stateā€.

Started reading on BKM. Anyone interested in forming a small study group?

Iā€™m aiming for something like

• meeting over Zoom every other week in Jan/Feb, then every week Mar/Apr
  • ppl based in US
  • ideally, a small group no more than 4 ppl

For me this is mainly to give myself the extra accountability. Sharing knowledge gained from source material is a nice added bonus.