2022 Exam 7 Progress Thread

6 is handy if you are in reserving. Otherwise maybe clear that before you start clearing important birthdays in your head. :laughing:

Pop quiz: how often do you need to get your work peer reviewed if you are the ā€œSigning Oneā€?

Every 7 years

1 Like

Niceā€¦ itā€™s 3 yrs up here in Canada, seems like a pretty quick turnaround. 7 seems too long. 5 would be a good numberā€¦ not that my opinion matters. :laughing:

I just got through Mack '94. Yikes. The font of that paper made it feel like it took days to read.

I believe someone on the old outpost rewrote the whole paper making it a lot easier to read.

Ohh man, that would have been nice to haveā€¦ Thanks DW Simpsonā€¦

1 Like

Am I the only one not wanting to do things in excel at work if Pearson excel doesnā€™t allow it

You are not the only oneā€¦

I refrain from f4, f2, copying part of the formula, using + sign to start a formulaā€¦ itā€™s painful, like wearing a speedo that is 2 size too small.

I think we should start a gofundme campaign to help Pearson to pay for the cost of upgrading their excel 3.2 to maybe excel 2010?

This is my first CBT exam. Is it really that bad?

They donā€™t allow you to do all the things Red mentioned in the pearson excel

I would check out the excel environment. If you google Pearson CAS CBT you should find it.

Itā€™s not terrible per se. But definitely something you should get use to.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just took a sneak peak. Wow. This makes me so grateful for the keyboard shortcuts in Excel.

Sheesh, part A of the syllabus is just massive.
All related to reserving and yet they feel so disjointed.
Itā€™s going to take a lot of memorizing. Some sections just make my head spin.

Howā€™s everyoneā€™s studying going?
Hoping to wrap up section A by the end of this week and start Section B.

My overall goal is to be done with the first run by some time mid-end February and start reviewing each section in depth while tackling problems.

I heard from somewhere this Exam has the biggest syllabus out of the three uppers but the exam isnā€™t as difficult compared to say Exam 8. I hope thatā€™s true.

1 Like

I am trying to get through the syllabus by end of February. I am working on Shapland and Siewert this week. Reserving isnā€™t my favorite topic so I find a lot of this material dry and hard to get through.

This canā€™t be worse than 6?

Who would have guessed how much time weā€™d be spending on Chain Ladder on an upper when we wrote 5?

Exams 7 through 9 are so much worse than 6.

2 Likes

I took my first upper last sitting which was Exam 8. That really crushed me. Never got a score below a 5.
I passed Exam 6 in my first try so I can definitely agree at this point that uppers are much worse than 6.

1 Like

haha sorry I really meant in terms of ā€œdrynessā€. Definitely the materials are harder, but no where near as dry as 6C.

8 was the last exam I took - but about 4 years ago now - so I think getting back into studying has just seemed like a drag in general.