2022 College Football Discussion

I don’t think you can put in tOSU and Bama and have all 4 teams come from 2 conferences, with 2 of them not even playing in their conference championship game. So I’m expecting tOSU and TCU to make it, especially given that TCU at least went to OT before losing.

my usual thought is all the schools who play legit D1 (FBS) schedules and end within one loss of the best record all get in. How’d I do?

In my dynamic college football playoff, there would only be 2 teams in the playoff this year:
UGA vs MICH

The 2-team BCS structure would have luckily gotten it right this year. Instead UGA gets the toughest matchup. I am not a fan of the move to a 12 team playoff. Quality of football near the end of the regular season (and championship games) will decline.

Also not a fan of the 12 team playoff, but I figured it was coming due to $.

It’s pretty rare that more than 4 teams can lay claim to being the best team in the country after the conference championships are over. Like 3rookie said, this year it’s 2. No matter how many teams are in the playoffs, those on the bubble and left out will always whine about it. Look at the NCAABB tourney for examples of that, where teams that are the 5th best in their conference cry about getting snubbed when they don’t make it.

esp when guys declare for the draft and realize mid tournament that they have seen enough other dudes get hurt and they need to prep for the draft

I missed the fact that the teams that will get the byes in the 12 team playoff were the 4 hightest ranked conference champs rather than the top 4 in the CFP rankings. So this year the 4 bye teams would have been GA, MI, Clemson and Utah with KSU and Tulane getting the other 2 auto bids. That will give the committee the ability to allow more teams from the same conferences to be in the top 4. So they could have had GA, MI, tOSU and AL in the top 4 and been OK since tOSU and AL would not have gotten byes.

I am still not a fan of the 12-team playoff, but I will revise my statement. There will be some cases where conference games at the end of the season matter more due to the automatic conference bid (e.g., Big 10 West). And the championship games will matter due to the BYE aspect.

I guess I’m saying I like the way this format was thought through, given it will be 12 teams.

Navy HC Ken Niumatalolo was fired in the locker room right after their overtime loss to Army.

He had one year left on his contract and the conference looked to possibly getting easier next year.

He wasn’t real happy about how it was done.

Has the Bowl season been so blah that nobody cares to discuss it? Or is it just that nothing really matters anymore except the playoffs this afternoon?

• They’ve mostly been background games for me in recent seasons
  • Extra effort given to watch teams from schools with family significance
  • Saw my first in-person bowl this year
  • Kansas-Arkansas was a hell of a game
  • NY6 and especially the playoffs get the most focus

I wonder if non-playoff bowl interest will drop for me even more with the expanded playoff, or if I’ll keep it as background entertainment.

It has always been meaningless. people are finally catching up to that fact after denying it to themselves. Many of the smarter players realize this, deciding not to play a single meaningless game for free that is hazardous to their future earnings.

Had to watch Alamo Bowl game (UW) live, because my brother insisted on it (on vacation with him). Lost 4 hours of my life.

I did watch some of the Duke’s Mayo bowl. Absolutely disgusting!

alabama took out there frustration on K state.

Michigan gave TCU every chance to beat them and TCU took advantage of that.

tOSU could not hold on against UGA.

points galore scored.

After having quite a few duds in the semifinals in prior years, that was great to get 2 exciting ones

UGA had poor clock management at the end of both halves.
OSU had poor play calling at the end of the game. They got to the edge of FG range and held on, instead of attacking like they’d done all game. That was a very painful loss for them. Stroud played a near-perfect game.

But what a great 2 games

1 Like

As a football fan with no real rooting interest, those were 2 fantastic games! I told my kids early yesterday I wasn’t sure I’d make it to midnight, but that game kept me awake!! Looking forward to the Championship!

Really gotta ask, why do they have targeting rules?

Those are the most inconsistently ruled calls I have ever seen.

In fact, it seems almost all video review seems to be worse than what gets called live.

I really thought that should have been a TD catch for UM when the receiver was falling into the end zone. UM seemed to get the worst of the video reviews in that game. But having the ball inside the 5 yard line 3 times and only getting 1 field goal out of it is pretty unforgivable as well.

With the play where they put a guy in motion and he stops behind the qb to push the qb forward on a qb-sneak is a pretty good play, but I might use an offensive or defensive lineman in that situation.

Targeting rules are there for the “safety of the players”. I would prefer it to be saved for clear egregious cases. At least it is reviewable and now fully reversible. When the penalty was first introduced, the personal foul was always assessed even if the review did not deem it targeting. In other words, the mistake by the referee penalized the defense and affected many outcomes.

The play at the end of the Michigan game was targeting. It was a very stupid “non-football” play by the TCU defender, especially being 10 yards from the 1st down. They would have also needed to review whether Edwards knee was down before he shoveled the ball forward. MICH did not “deserve” to have another chance after botching the 4th and 10 play, but they should have.

The hit on Marvin Harrison Jr. in the endzone was not targeting. It was arguably a “hit on a defenseless player”. But that was a football play that absolutely had to happen, else OSU goes up by 18 and UGA would not have come back from that.

Yup. I thought so, too.
Maybe there is some rule about advancing a bobbling ball while on the ground.

me three. the spinning in the hands ball was not fully possessed until he was in the EZ, imo