2021 Olympic Games, The Game

EDIT: cancelled due to lack of interest

A brand new olympics game (since recreating the old Olympics game from scratch seemed too difficult).

Sports have been grouped into 15 categories. Choose a country for each category. You get 5 points for each Gold, 3 points for each Silver, and 1 point for each Bronze that your country earns in the category.

The top 30 countries according to my projected medal count are listed below in alphabetical order as options, along with a “Rest of the world” option for countries outside my top 30.

Rules: You can only use each country a maximum of two times. You can also only choose “Rest of the world” one time. For Athletics and Swimming, which are split between Men’s and Women’s, you cannot choose the same country for both genders (e.g. Choosing Belgium for Men’s Swimming and Women’s Athletics is okay. Choosing Belgium for Men’s Swimming and Women’s swimming is not allowed).

Here are the winners by event in 2016 if you want to do some research, though past results do not always predict future results.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2016_Summer_Olympics_medal_winners

You can submit to me via PM, or by posting in this thread. Entries due by 9:45PM on Friday.

OR NEW - enter by simply filling out a Google form!

Countries

Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
China
Czech Republic
Denmark
France
Georgia
Germany
Great Britain
Hungary
India
Iran
Italy
Jamaica
Japan
Kazakhstan
Kenya
Korea
Netherlands
New Zealand
Poland
Russia
Spain
Sweden
Turkey
Ukraine
USA
Uzbekistan
Rest of the World

Categories

Mens Athletics
Womens Athletics
Gymnastics
Mens Swimming
Womens Swimming
Canoeing
Rowing
Other Water Sports (Water Polo, Synchronized Swimming, Surfing, Diving, Sailing)
Weightlifting
Martial Arts (Judo, Karate, Taekwondo)
Traditional Fighting (Boxing, Wrestling)
Knight Training (Equestrian, Fencing)
Target Practice (Archery, Shooting)
Net Sports (Volleyball, Table Tennis, Tennis, Badminton)
Definitely not an other category Sports (Basketball, Field Hockey, Soccer, Handball, Rugby, Golf, Skateboarding, Sport Climbing, Triathlon, Modern Pentathlon)

Tiebreaker Question: What will be the winning time of the men’s 20km race walk?

1 Like

Example Submission

Mens Athletics;Belgium
Womens Athletics;Australia
Gymnastics;Brazil
Mens Swimming;Brazil
Womens Swimming;Belgium
Canoeing;Australia
Rowing;Canada
Other Water Sports (Water Polo, Synchronized Swimming, Surfing, Diving, Sailing);Canada
Weightlifting;China
Martial Arts (Judo, Karate, Taekwondo);China
Traditional Fighting (Boxing, Wrestling);Denmark
Knight Training (Equestrian, Fencing);Denmark
Target Practice (Archery, Shooting);France
Net Sports (Volleyball, Table Tennis, Tennis, Badminton);France
Definitely not an other category Sports (Basketball, Field Hockey, Soccer, Handball, Rugby, Golf, Skateboarding, Sport Climbing, Triathlon, Modern Pentathlon);Rest of the World

Tiebreaker Question: What will be the winning time of the men’s 20km race walk?;1:14:23

Reserved 2

Reserved 3

Is the gymnastics category rhythmic and artistic?

Yes it includes both.

This might be better in the Sports subforum

Could go either way - but games makes plenty of sense.

When do we need to enter by?

Moved it

Enter by end of business day on Friday. First medal event starts at 9:45 PM ET on Friday, if I did the timezone conversion right, so that is the dropdead time.

I also only browse by “latest” instead of by subforum, so I sometimes forget those exist on this site.

I tend to browse by subforum and avoid the politics one

:bump:

We have one entry to date, and it’s mine! That means you have a good chance of winning if you enter. 1 more day.

Don’t know what you’re doing? That’s okay, none of us do!

Want a Google form to enter instead of PMing? Here you go: OTH Fantasy Olympics

I made this same game for my fantasy hockey league and they already have 7 entries.