2021 College Football Discussion

Assuming we end up with a super conference with say 24 teams. That would be four 6 teams regions maybe. Assuming some sort of post season, and maybe a 10 game schedule, would they only play teams in the super conference or maybe 1 or 2 “out of conference” games? That means a lot of conference losses for a lot of teams. Is the money worth having a 6-4 or 5-5 record rather than the 8-3 they might have now?

I think you just look at the current situation. The bottom teams in the SEC play 4 OOC games now (which amazingly, they don’t always win) so they end up with losing records now. In 2019 there were 6 out of 14 teams in the SEC that had non-winning regular seasons (6-6 or worse), 1 team with 9-4, 3 with 8-3. Acc had 7 of 14 teams with 6-6 or worse with 8 required conference games.

So I don’t think much changes. The real question is would they allow OOC and what restrictions would they put on them?

and confirmed that the NFL eligibility is 3 yrs after the kid’s HS graduation.

kid can play this fall. make money. and get to the nfl earlier (if an option). very interesting. if I had skipped Sr yr of HS I’d have been 17 that whole next school year. I then would have been in the NFL draft as early as age 19 possibly (19.7, but whatever).

Interesting, in that the usual route for footballers is to get held back a year before high school, so as to be a year older bigger and stronger than the competition. So, you have 19-year-olds playing high school football and putting up noticeable numbers.

right. but now they have to balance that against making sweet NIL money at some school. perhaps even as they redshirt to get bigger and stronger and older.

I don’t know how to get the link but just saw what appeared to be maybe a Texas lawmaker questioning the Texas AD and asked about his budget and said that was without a winning football team of late. The AD said they have been winning just not like they would like to.

She then said, “3-7 vs the Horn Frogs. Maybe your fan base would rather lose to Alabama than TCU.”

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kansas hotly rumored to be headed to the B1G. They’re an AAU school, so they check that box. They’ll suck ass in football, but be a huge addition for basketball.

No idea who’s going to be #16. Start looking at [large] AAU schools. Still think Iowa State makes the most sense geographically, but for $$$ it doesn’t tap some new market. Notre Dame would be $$$, but it’s not an AAU school and it wants to stay independent / play in a relatively watered-down ACC. Rice and Tulane are AAU members, would tap new markets and raid the relatively minor C-USA, but they’re tiny comparatively and make the B1G weaker athletically.

Off the board bet: Georgia Tech. It would be raiding the ACC, but hits the Atlanta market and GT could hold its own athletically. But GT only sponsors 9 mens and 8 women’s sports; is that enough?

Really off the board bet: Colorado, which checks all kinds of boxes, but requires the B1G to raid the Pac-12 and blow up all the relationships between the two conferences. That would trigger the nuclear option for conference realignment.

Interesting NIL sponsorship deal with BYU.

Every BYU walk-on football player receives NIL deal from sponsor covering cost of scholarships

Every Cougar, including those not on athletic scholarship, will have their tuition paid for by Utah-based Built Brands

How long before Alabama gets Nike or someone to basically give all their walk-ons NIL deals equivelent to full ride scholarships? So now while they might be limited to the number of student-athletes that they can award scholarships to and possibly sign to NLI, it no longer matters, they will be able to promise every 5* recruit the same thing without limit. And the recruits now only have to decide if they think they can get playing time with all the other 5*'s that are going to be there as well.

BYU canceled their Cougar Kickoff celebration because of poor air conditions because of smoke from the CA and OR wildfires. They wanted to protect the health of the athletes.

What a shit show

I too endured Illinois-Nebraska. I hope Scott Frost gets a lifetime contract at NU, and I hope Illini fans end up looking back on today and saying “this was the high point of the season.”

did not watch. glad i did not. it isn’t a good start to anything.

The real season starts tonight. Wish I had the PAC 12 network so I could watch while I cheer against the Utes, I mean cheer for the Wildcats.

Big 12 expansion stuff per Brett McMurphy. Seems like it’s pretty close to getting done with these four schools

BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF have emerged as the Big 12’s expansion choices and the league could extend official invitations by the end of this month, sources told The Action Network.

As far as its new league members, the Big 12 prefers to add all-sports members and not football-only members, a source said.

BYU is the Big 12’s clear-cut top choice, sources said.

After BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF, the next four schools that previously received the most consideration from the Big 12 were Boise State, Memphis, SMU and USF, sources said.

Although several other schools contacted the Big 12 about potential membership, no other universities other than those eight were seriously considered, a source said.

The most important factors the Big 12 is considering for its expansion candidates are “TV audience, football relevancy and certainly market size is a factor,” a source said. “Men’s basketball brand also is extremely important. The Big 12 is one of the best — if not the best basketball league in the country.”

The Big 12’s decision was based “75 percent on (the school’s) football success and 25 percent (men’s) basketball,” a source said.

FCS teams that defeated FBS teams this season:

Montana d. (20) Washington 13-7
UC Davis d. Tulsa 19-17
Eastern Washington d. UNLV 35-33 (2OT)
South Dakota St. 42, Colorado St. 23
Holy Cross 38, Connecticut 28
East Tennessee St. 23, Vanderbilt 3

Jacksonville State 20, Florida State 17
DuQuense 28, Ohio 26

Texas, USC, … :rofl:

Notre Dame showing again why they shouldn’t be considered a national title contender after barely escaping Toledo. At home. And now that FAU road win looks not nearly as impressive.

My comment on Illinois fans looking back on the Nebraska win as the high point of the season? Looking really good right now.

BYU over Utah, finally.

It will be interesting how many PAC 12 teams end up with more PAC 12 wins than BYU.

And what about Oregon. Wow.

Those of you that had Clay Helton getting fired just 2 games into this season, please collect your winnings.

How about Washington losing to U of M two weeks in a row. That’s gotta be an anomaly.

1 Like