2021-22 NHL Hockey Thread

Joel Quenneville “resigns” with the following statement:

:face_vomiting: If that’s your statement, get the fuck out and never come back to hockey at any level, in any capacity.

1 Like

Yep, he’s still playing clueless and not admitting he lied about knowing.

Cheveldayoff faces no discipline.

Thinking about it last night and this morning, I think I’m OK with it. I could have seen a token fine for not escalating it, but then again I get that he didn’t because that would have been clear insubordination and he would have been fired for it. Not that it’s an excuse, but it’s not like he had autonomy to make a decision: he had Bowman and McDonough above him to overrule any action he wanted to take, and Quenneville’s voice carried a ton of weight in that room.

Also sounds like it helps considerably that he came across as honest and that his versions of events could be reconciled with others. Stark contrast to Q, who comes across as a massive liar who only conceded to events when presented with evidence he was lying.

I agree with your assessment. I haven’t followed the details closely can the Florida Panthers get something from the league or Chicago for the cost of having to replace a coach midseason?

Probably not, unless Florida asked specific questions of Chicago and got lied to or deceived.

I don’t get people’s cries for Bettman to get fired over this. Donald Fehr, I absolutely get - he should have been shit-canned after Beach’s interview aired, he really should have been shit-canned when Fehr made a statement conceding the NHLPA knew and did nothing.

Predictably, the hockey world is pissed Cheveldayoff doesn’t get punished. Cries of he knew, he should have said something and the desire to set a standard that would have every individual guilty of knowing about some illegal act and not vigorously and exhaustively pursuing its full criminal prosecution.

Yay, a win yesterday.
They might never score again, though.

HHOF taking steps to remove Aldrich’s name from the Cup.

Bettman talking to the media this morning. This is not making Chicago look any better. It also makes the $2 million fine look woefully inadequate.

Blues 6-1-0 now :blush:

Still not buying in. Glad we’re 6-1-0, builds a cushion in case we need it later in the year (I fully expect we will), but I can’t buy that the team is a semi-serious Cup contender with the defense we have. Maybe I’ll buy in if Faulk continues playing like he does, but if he’s at that level all season people should be talking Norris Trophy for him and I don’t see that from him for 82 games.

Aldrich’s name officially X’d off the Cup. People continue to delusionally scream about X’ing the Blackhawks off for 2010, firing Bettman, firing Cheveldayoff, on and on.

7-1 after tonight.

Biggest surprise to me is Tarasenko … How long can he keep this up, and when will the room implode because of the trade request? Can’t imagine it lasting all season… Weird schedule fluke - we finish season series with the Kings tonight.

If Jack Eichel comes back at 100% from this disc replacement surgery, this could be a hell of a trade for Vegas.

If he doesn’t - and if Tuch and Krebs thrive in Buffalo - this could be disaster for Vegas.

To Vegas: Jack Eichel, 3rd in 2023
To Buffalo: Alex Tuch, Peyton Krebs, 1st in 2022, 2nd in 2023

• Vegas 1st is top-10 protected; if exercised, all picks move out 1 year

Surprise, I was wrong, but only barely, about the StL at LAK last night.
Great comeback, only to blow it late, then totally dominate the OT but fail to score, then win the shootout which is also a rarity for LAK.
A questionable penalty, goaltender interference, against StL, though inconsequential, and a non-penalty v LAK, and a shitty coincidental for embellishment.
Oh, and those TNT announcers are simply horrible, yakking about their pasts, sorry, I don’t give a shit, bro. The cadence is all wrong for hockey, better for golf, maybe, if any sport. Color guy is all, what was that? who did what? where am I? the whole night.

The CBJ are 6-3-0 at this point with the next game at home against Colorado. I did not expect this start considering their youth and being in a rebuilding year. Sillinger (youngest player in the league) is deservedly staying with the team and the rest of the rookies look good so far. I expect that as the competition gets harder the team will fade into more learning experiences than wins.

I think I need to bash on the Kings more often. On a five-game winning streak? That’s not so great, boys. Wake me up when you get to ten.

The Metro looks pretty good this year. Penguins and Devils have had their best players out nearly all season and are still above .500 point %.

Kings are frisky. The Pacific has been better than I expected.

SIX in a row? I’m still sleeping!!

Pretty tense overtime as MON had pretty good puck control through most of it. A little 1993-Cup-like intensity, though I don’t think any of these players were born yet. Lots of history, these two teams!!

Bob Murray out as Ducks GM following allegations of verbal abuse of players, staff and media over the years.

Good. The more of that shit that gets chased out, the better.

1 Like

Kings need to sweep the Canadian teams like those Curling players. Then I’ll wake up.
Note: six-game winning streak and their record is 7-5-1.

I am equally surprised at the Kings’ winning streak.

The Kings don’t play any of the Canadian teams in their own division until December. Edmonton and Calgary look strong in the early going so Kings’ December 2, 5 and 6 games against the Western Canadian teams should be a good test.