2020, er, 2021 Euro's

I think UEFA/France screwed up not taking Pavard out yesterday. Even in real time without the benefit of slow-mo you could see his head hit the turf so he was clearly briefly knocked out. Post game he acknowledged he was knocked out10-15 seconds. There’s been a lot of big talk about enhanced concussion protocols, but when a big match is on the line any possible evidence of head injury is ignored. The current head injury protocol is apparently to squirt a little water on their head and put them right back in.

2 Likes

I think the official current concussion protocol is not followed.

I mean, it’s quite possible he was alright during the match, and alright today. The protocol is assumes the worst, in that everyone who gets a head injury has a concussion. Problem is that we don’t really have the knowledge to determine each individual’s risk of concussion. (Neither does the player, so that’s not a good source.) Best to have a blanket protocol, along with a “this doesn’t count as one of our substitutes” rule.

Seemed more like a little teasing, not an intent to injure. But, I don’t think that is acceptable teasing. One match ban IMO.

Agree the context of knowing each other a long time does lessen how severe it appears in hindsight, but the history of consequences for biting should have probably still dissuaded it. Could have easily turned into a big deal.

Agreed. Initially seeing it it looked rough and then seeing it in the replay it looked really rough. Even the announcers were like he’s done and then oh I guess not

It’s interesting because he complained about it right there and then, and the only decision would have been a red card. There is nothing in the Laws about “light nibbling” being a lesser offense than “biting.” But he didn’t get the guy off the field (the assistant had no clear view), so, move on. That’s Pogba.

:laughing: “just one bite!”

Do you guys stream the matches on ESPN+? Having trouble getting the main stream to work for the Italy match, can only seem to get the “Alternate” which isn’t as good.

I’m getting the main stream just fine here. It’s just regular ESPN tho, not ESPN+ pretty sure?

1 Like

I am TiVo’ing whatever is on ESPN, watching at my leisure at slightly faster speed 90-minute match takes about 65 minutes, with audio commentary), and going underground until I watch. I can watch them on an iPad at regular speed while I work.

For Euros, I’m watching France and England group matches. Not sure how much of knockout rounds I’ll watch.
For Copa, watching ARG matches, though I watched the BRA first match.
Nice that Euro’s are on in the morning, and the Copa’s are on in the afternoon. Gold Cup could be played at night now instead of a month later, losing the Euro league players.

This was my problem, thank you!

Why watch the group matches and not elimination? Or are you pessimistic about France and England’s chances? Haha.

And morning, PST…?

Yes, PDT.
I was thinking about watching MORE elimination matches, not just ENG and FRA. So, not sure how much more. Guessing that ESPN will help me make that decision (by putting some of them on The Plus).

I think of “nibbling” as applying to herbivores, so maybe he was just intending to eat the shirt.

If a player was born in Crimea would he play for Ukraine or Russia?

Something similar to dual citizenship may apply, provided not already cap-tied? :man_shrugging:

That makes sense, in line with UEFA’s international agreeableness

Given the recognition issues for most of UEFAs member states I’d say the Ukraine.

England can surprise negatively some times, e.g. Scotland match….

Portugal oofed!