20 Questions

49 posts were split to a new topic: 20 Questions Game13

20 posts were split to a new topic: 20 Questions Game14

45 posts were split to a new topic: 20 Questions Game15

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: 20 Questions Game14

75 posts were split to a new topic: 20 Questions Game16

99 posts were split to a new topic: 20 Questions Game17

I think the issue is what is conditioned on what else.

a) If it is this thing, where do you find it?
b) If it is this place, how likely is it to be there?

White boards are found in offices, in public & private schools, in public & private colleges, and in homes. I would guess that more than half of all whiteboards are in private industry. The answer to (A) is not “public”. But if the place in B is public, sure, it’s pretty like to be there.

Anyway… Moving on…

I assume soyleche is asking about it’s existence 300 years ago?

Also, this thread is getting long. And i find it hard to navigate long threads in this system. I assume others do, too. I propose splitting it up. (Which i can do.) Any objections? Stuff i should consider before doing so?

How easy / hard is it to move stuff?

Maybe periodically move anything prior to the penultimate game to an “archive” thread?

I was thinking i might create a thread for each game, and link them.

I wouldn’t bother for the old games, but maybe going forward that would be good.

Preface: Trying to understand the logistics, not critiquing the plan.

• Will you number the new threads? How will we keep track of which thread is the current? (I generally search for threads if they’re not in the top ~10 latest listed, rather than scrolling)
  • This thread will get bumped only when a new game starts, with the link to the new game, based on someone winning a prior game?
  • Will the person who wins start a new game thread, or do we continue using the most recent game thread and then you will move into a new one?

I don’t really have a problem navigating long threads. Almost all of the activity is in the last couple dozen posts or so. If I need to go farther back it can be annoying, but the search function works well, and I’m not sure it would be less annoying to have to figure out which of the other several threads the info I am looking for is in.

That being said - I by no means consider myself the “owner” of any thread I start. They belong to the community, and the community can do with them as they please. I guess it would be cool to have started “the longest thread”, but we aren’t there yet anyway…

I support any action that the group decides on. I mostly just want to play a game. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I find this site does a good job of remembering where I’m at in a thread, telling me how many posts are unread and bringing me directly to the oldest unread by just clicking on the thread title. I think my settings are a combination of the Home Screen showing Latest and having interested threads (what I view as the equivalent to the AO’s subscribe) toggled to Tracking, though there may be others I can look into and compare.

My one main trouble is on my phone. If I go back quite a ways I can’t figure out how best to jump back down to the bottom of the thread. I’ve either got to leave the thread and come back, or scroll down. There are better options on my computer, but I can’t figure it out on the phone.

My intention was to number new threads

I’m not sure I understand this question. Each thread gets bumped whenever it has new posts. I mean, I guess there could be a master-thread with links to new games, and with stuff people might want to refer to (what does “commonly used” mean) but I hadn’t been planning on that.

Yes, the person who wins (or whoever wants to pose a question) should start a new thread, and post a link to it in the old thread. (and I guess the master thread, if there is one.)

Yeah, I mostly access this site from my phone, which may be why I find navigating long threads to be so cumbersome. Maybe I’m in the minority.

At the bottom on your phone screen, there should be a little “post counter” with two numbers and a slash between them, click that, and it will pop open the post on its own, and also show you the slider on the side (much faster than scrolling to move the slider), as well as a jump to… button on the bottom left where you can type in a number or a date.

The post counter only shows if you’re “in” the thread, i.e. if you’ve scrolled past the bottom, and you’re in the suggested topics part of the screen, it won’t show. If you’re at any post “in” the thread, it should be there.

I can click that and get a box to jump to post 325 of 639, but on my phone, the slider usually doesn’t appear. Sometimes it does, but not consistently. And it doesn’t work very well when it does appear.

(It works great on my laptop.)

And i don’t usually remember, "oh, that post from Urysohn was around post # 750. So jumping around doesn’t help me much.

In the meantime, feel free to ask a question! :wink: