1/6 Select Committee

I was about to say!!

In Michigan!!?!?!?

I was there last summer, and yes, there are confederate flags and giant-ass Trump 2020 flags. (I was in the Northern part of the Southern part.)

2 Likes

Several top Trump administration officials have been telling that story and will be part of this. There was and will continue to be evidence shown from basically everyone aligned with Trump that they all knew the election lies were a ruse and they were just trying to placate Trump.

Interesting development last night was that FoxNews went commercial free during the hearings just to make sure no one tuned out of Hannity and Tucker to change channels to the hearing. Can’t let anyone have access to the truth.

2 Likes

Around where I live it seems houses that used to have confederate flags now fly Trump 2020 flags.

1 Like

How was it coordinated? I think there was a lot of playing with fire with the angry mob by Trump and several others, but i am not sure we will learn anything that has not already been reported by the NYT. The real coordination is in Eastman’s memos. The riot does play into that strategy but seemed opportunistic rather than directly coordinated.

Americans need to reject everyone involved. The committee won’t change many minds. I think if Pence comes forward and speaks about it, that could have a real impact. Hopefully he gets on a prime time interview on one of the networks after the committee is done.

1 Like

Well, we did learn that the Proud Boys deployed to the Capitol around 10:30, well before Trump got the mob to head there. They were supposedly scoping it out in advance. Proud Boys and Oath Keepers met in advance of 1/6 to coordinate the attack as well. I did not know either of these things prior to last nights hearing.

2 Likes

:iatp:

One good thing about the committee hearing: it deprived Fox News of an evening’s worth of ad revenue.

Unfortunately, it also likely led to a few people getting an extra dose of indoctrination from Fox’s talking heads…

I wonder if they will go commercial-free for future prime-time hearings.

I started watching the hearings on my local Fox station, first to see if they were carrying it and second to see if there was anything off about it. They played it straight, aired the full hearings. However, during the break at the top of the hour, they started to go full on Fox. It was not the local news people, but national Fox people. They started off their analysis by saying that this was wrong since there wasn’t a lawyer for the other side who could object, etc. Since this wasn’t a trial, that made no sense, but that didn’t stop them. Had to abandon them shortly after that for Lester Holt.

I’m most of the way through the D1 hearing on youtube. Not a really good look for Trump so far.

1 Like

Fox News may not be covering the 1/6 hearings, but looks like they will have a former employee testifying at them.

1 Like

7 Republican members of the house were giving tours on January 5. Oh and Capital was closed to tours due to COVID. I’m guessing you pick out which 7 without looking it up.

MTG, Boebert, Gohmert, Gym Jordan, Gaetz, Cawthorn, Gosar

How’d I’d do?

2 Likes

Close.
Briggs, Boebert, geatz, Mtg, gozzer, Gym, Gompert

1 Like

You may be happy. 20 million tuned in last night. By comparison Trump’s impeachment got around 9 million.

2 Likes

It’s a start. Not exactly holding my breath that anybody will be held accountable but maybe it motivates some people to start paying attention.

1 Like

The first episode of 1/6 was a slick production compared to previous televised hearings. There has been a fair amount of subsequent chatter about what will be coming out in future episodes so I expect good viewership numbers next week as well. The good ratings will drive Trump mad if nothing else.

2 Likes

The ratings for the hearings are on par with the 1st season of the apprentice. That’s got to grate on him.

4 Likes

Don’t hold your breath on that. His focus for years has been on becoming President, he’s not about to do anything to alienate the Republican base and damage that chance.

His certifying the electoral vote is one foot in the grave, but he’s gambling that he can get out of that if he just shuts up and otherwise toes the party line. That’s why he’s been silent through much of the last 18 months. He does nothing to further inflame feelings against him, emotions die down, and one day after Trumpism burns out - hopefully before he dies - he gets to run for President, gets elected, and gets to ride into the White House on a horse.

1 Like

That may well be his plan and a driver of his decision-making, but I think it’s a fantasy.

1 Like