Zoom Schooling: Bad, Good, or Mixed

My cousin is a senior in college. Prior to this covid thing I was jealous about how fun her college life looked on social media, wishing I did college like that. Since covid, she has nothing on social media at all. I’m guessing her social life suffered.

You could do all that now though

perhaps. I also know a lot of people who are afraid to post shit online in fear of being canceled, but they’re still partying it up.

I became an actuary.

:rimshot:

um, you do know how old i am, right? be the granny at the frat parties?

idk about that. college kids are dumb. i’d think something would seep in. i’m guessing her social life just isn’t as great anymore.

and she might be okay with that, maybe slightly bored perhaps. Most people are not super extroverted or super introverted.

based on her fb, she is super extroverted. i haven’t seen her since she was a little kid, but she’s now the social chair of her sorority or some such.

I did the last 1.5 terms of my undergrad degree through distance learning due to covid. It was horrible, did not like. And from reading online, a lot of other students are struggling as well.

I also did a bit of high school math tutoring by zoom in the last few months and it was not a success. Maybe it was the kids I was working with, maybe not. One was argumentative, one was distant; never experienced either of those when tutoring in the past.

I feel like zoom should be better, haven’t quite pinpointed yet why I’m finding it the opposite though. If I figure out the reasons why zoom is sub-par, then it’s likely fixable.

I was also on a zoom last week with quite a number of insurance agents, they were to a person anxious to return to in-person meetings.

I’m older than you. I hang out with college kids when we aren’t all hiding from covid. I also hang out with people in their 80s. It used to be pretty balanced but as I get older, my friends are skewing younger than me on average.

well I mean with people your age

I started reading “How to Not be Wrong” by Jordan Ellenberg the other day. He’s got some decent approaches to those sorts of questions.

One is comparing it to weight training. A football player is seldom going to need to do curls in the field, but having done curls will help in a lot of less obvious ways.

Similar for the “let them figure it out” argument. A kid can do some things all in their own to figure out how to run 100 yards faster, but they will almost certainly do better if they have a coach running them through well established drills.

I was talking with a friend at a multi-national company the other day, and she said the Europeans LOVE zoom meetings. They used to be left out of the chit-chat, since they were all on the phone, and not in the room. Now they get included. She also says that she’s learned what all her business partners look like.

I work in a semi sales role.

All the sales people are dying to start flying and meeting clients in person.

The introvert in me is like :scream:

Thanks, I may steal that.

Third grader: loves it, really works well with his ADHD. He doesn’t get stressed out about having to do things at school within a certain time frame, doesn’t get snippy comments from his teacher about moving too much, has become a star student. Really has struggled being back in the classroom 2 days a week and hates it.

Kindergartener: miserable, doesn’t pay attention, doesn’t know what’s going on, is relying on us to teach him everything. Also hates in person school suddenly, has cried the last two days about having to go because he says he misses me too much.

Don’t know what the best solution is for either of them. Going back full time is going to be an uphill battle.

Well, i tend to believe that insurance agents are eventually becoming exposed to and interested in technology and better ways of doing business. Then I get a bit of exposure to them and get woken up again. This side of the industry might as well be 1970.

One of the only things that I remember vividly from my childhood is the first day my mom dropped me off in K. I cried and cried and watched as she left the room.

I actually point to trig as what should be replaced when we instead teach basic annuities, mortgages, etc. They’ve already got the pre-reqs, crazy people aren’t able to do any of the math themselves.

that’s just series and limits. it’s already taught in pre-calc