Would you buy a Chinese car?

I think this is the part you may be glossing over. A lot of people rent and live in cities and can’t charge at home (currently, hopefully there is a push to change this).

I was pushing back on the ‘EVs are just a plaything for the rich’ there, trying to demonstrate that, while there aren’t any dirt-cheap EVs on the market, you can own one for about the price of a nice new Honda.

But yes, this is an issue that needs solved before many people could reasonably own an EV. If you’re stuck paying $0.45/kWh at DC fast chargers, and don’t have the convenience of overnight charging, it’s not a great way to be.

Y’all should come join our EV thread in the Software/Tech section, where we discuss all of these various things.

I dabble there, but not consistently. I have a lot to catch up on.

1 Like

how will it work for high density/apartment parking? will every spot have a charger for overnight charging? like the entire lot?

I don’t know if anyone has figured it out yet. Everyone could get their own charger, sure. That would make for a very high peak demand if they are Level 2.

Maybe everyone gets something like a 110v, 20A receptacle. That’s enough for most days, it would add about 50-70 miles of range overnight. And then offer something like a handful of spots with Level 2 charging and/or DC fast charging. You might have to charge money to use those so people don’t park there all night. I guess if you’re in a big apartment in the city, it’s very likely you could get to a DC fast charger elsewhere pretty easily.

Lots to solve for here.