Worst Christmas Songs

Holy shit, that’s awful.

So - what is the deal with “I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing In”?

At best it seems like a really strained metaphore that doesn’t really make any sense anyway. And the song is pretty boring - each verse only adding one line within a formulaic structure.

I just don’t get how that one caught on.

I mean, it’s a middle ages carol, isn’t it? Most of them aren’t works of art, they survive because they are traditional.

Most of the traditional ones that have survived aren’t that bad, really. I have some issues with “The Holly and the Ivy” not rhyming very well, but overall it’s a decent song (probably worked better in Old English or Gaelic or whatever it started out in).

This one is just weird, though. I don’t know how it survived. I guess after some point, if it survived that long it gets “nostalgia” points, but how did it even get to that point?

Thought about putting it in the funny but sfw thread, just thought it was more appropriate here :laughing:

1 Like

god damn i hate that mariah carey song SO MUCH!!!

:joy:

We had a yard sale at my church and I found a brand new with tags hunter gree ascot just like cousin Eddie wears. I am still on the lookout for a see through white sweater.

It’s a tie between “Little Drummer Boy” and “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree”. I’ll give the edge to Little Drummer Boy because (1) I’ve loathed it since I was about 10 years old, and (2) I can’t f’ing stop myself from rump-pah-f**king-pumming along with the chorus.

I like Vince Guaraldi’s version of “Little Drummer Boy” called “My Little Drum.” Nice little soft jazzy song.

Not sure I have a worst off the top of my head, but I have a favorite, “Nuttin’ for Christmas” by The Fontane Sisters. Other versions are not the same. This was on a Pottery Barn compilation, and now on my iPod.
Take a listen:

I think I found a strong contender

Next time you hear Drummer Boy, replace “rump-pah-pum” with Bum Pump - should make you feel better

The choir I’m in is well into Christmas preparation. One of the songs we are doing is The First Noel - which is a great song, but reminded me:

Splitting the word “looked” into two syllables is annoying. There really isn’t a way to avoid it in this song though. The lyrics there should have been written better, IMO.

Well you’re in luck! That’s only one of several versions of the lyrics.

Also, I wonder what the Cornish pronunciation of “looked” is and if that has anything to do with it being sung as two syllables.

Both those other second verses are much better. I don’t think I’ve ever sung any version of verses 3, 4 or 5 - although I may have heard some of them.

Huh, I’ve sung all six verses in the first column and could probably recite them all. Never the other two columns / versions.

I wonder which lyrics are most common in England, and specifically in Cornwall?

I’ve only ever sung/heard verses from the first. column. My church’s hymn book only has the first two. The one the choir is singing has 1, 2 and 6 - I’m pretty sure all of the choir arrangements I’ve sung only have those three. Seems like I’ve probably heard some of the others but haven’t really paid attention.

I’ve heard the Tabernacle Choir sing some alternate words in the 6th verse (the 3rd when they sang it). They changed “who hath made heav’n and earth of naught” to something like “he who this glorious Earth hath wrought”. LDS doctrine doesn’t go for the “ex nihilo” thing.

Most of the time they sing the normal words though.

Put a comma in “ look, Ed”