Will you get the vaccine as soon as available to you?

Moderna.

1 Like

I think I’ve gotten 7 or 8 :person_shrugging: : They stopped filling cards out, I was on my second by dose 5 (immunosuppressed) and I think I had 6 total entries.

1 Like

I’ve had 4. I volunteered for Moderna’s combined flu/covid vaccine trial so I didn’t get the latest booster. Have not heard back from the trial so I guess it’s time to get the booster.

2 Likes

For the olds - CDC says to get a spring shot if you got a fall shot.

1 Like

Guess no additional dose for the immunocompromised.

I am pretty sure I’m as up to date as possible, having gotten one in later 2023.

GE65yo, not a cutlass cierra

I would be interested in more data for those who have been hospitalized. When was their last vaccine, and/or last time COVID positive? Do they have comorbidities?

I assume the CDC will make blanket recommendations as long as we continue to see material numbers of COVID related hospitalizations, but it is becoming less clear that these recommendations are achieving any actual results.

I expect my wife and I will continue to follow their guidance, including getting these shots during March in anticipation of some April travel. To us, we perceive the vaccine risk is small enough that how effective it is does not affect the decision much.

2 Likes

https://www.wsj.com/health/wellness/covid-guidelines-2024-cdc-symptoms-contagious-cdefb6b8

see final paragraph: “People with compromised immune systems should be allowed to get a Covid shot whenever their doctors advise, spaced two months apart, the CDC recommends.” 6 shots per year for some

Really? This is the first I’ve heard something like this. Not saying it’s wrong or not true, just find it surprising.

:man_shrugging: just what i saw in the WSJ article. CDC says a lot of surprising stuff

It’s also the first I’ve heard of it… and I’ve tried to look. Maybe they found better info than me. I think I’ve had 7 or 8 shots in total… Perhaps I’ll call and see if I’m able to get another. The chances of it hurting me are miniscule, and COVID sucks.

1 Like

Getting sick on vacation is not fun, and if the impact can be minimized, why not? But that is not the goal of the CDC with their recommendation since it sounds like they are trying to reduce hospitalizations.

However, they have also not said “the vaccine risk is so low, its a good idea to get one to minimize upcoming travel inconveniences for healthy people.” An individual can certainly make that decision based on available data.

Travel inconvenience is not the controlling factor. With our lifestyle and trying to be careful, the increased risk from contact with so many more people while traveling is by far our strongest motivation. That said, we likely would have gotten the new shot in March anyway since our last shot was in September. Trip timing focuses the decision.

Fair enough. I guess I’m trying to rationalize the CDCs position against personal priorities. At this point it seems like people are in roughly three groups. 1) unvaccinated, 2) vaccinated but caught covid, 3) vaccinated and never caught covid. Group 2 is further subdivided into a) their covid experience was mild and b) their (or a loved ones) covid experience was severe.

There was a chart earlier from the CDC with a decision tree on it for deciding on getting a booster. None of those three groups are looking at the chart. 2b and 3 will keep getting boosters until they move to group 2a.

But is any of this moving the needle on hospitalizations? Which group is driving this? It’s easy to poke holes in the CDC guidance when you have the reality of these different groups looking at blanket recommendations.

We are now 4 years in. Offer a booster and “talk to your doctor” seems like it would be a much better blanket recommendation at this point.

CDC is trying to minimise three things:

1. Hospitalisation at older ages > 60
  2. Hospitalisation of immune-compromised people
  3. Long-Covid of over 35s of people with health issues

That last group is a concern and the booster does indeed reduce the risk of developing long covid.

1 Like

I’m trying to avoid being in that last group, so I’m happy to get a booster every year I guess, like the flu shot.

3 Likes

Old people. I don’t have a reference handy, but the recommendation is for 65+ because that’s almost all of who is being hospitalized for covid. (And a really large fraction of the deaths are 80+)

I think that’s been true since at least the fall, and i thought before that. I don’t think many people will be advised to get a booster every 2 months, but it’s been “as often as your doctor recommends” for immune compromised people for a while.

That’s one of the reasons i didn’t answer @yoyo’s question about “how many shots have been recommended” with a number. Because that number varies a lot depending on your age, health, which shots you’ve had, how often you caught covid, etc.

1 Like