Will you get the vaccine as soon as available to you?

I am guessing he means waiting 90 days from having covid until getting the booster.

I don’t know the “right” answer to that or how long one should wait from the prior booster. I personally will wait on the longer side for any future vaccinations.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01950-2

Prior infection with Omicron granted stronger protection: it was 79.7% effective at preventing BA.4 and BA.5 reinfection and 76.1% effective at preventing symptomatic reinfection.

I almost certainly had either ba.2 or ba.2.12.1 back in May. So i have a 100% chance of feeling like crap for 24-36 hours vs a 25% chance of catching covid. I assume even if i do it will be less severe than the 2-3 days of sleep from the first time. I think id get the booster if i planned to travel, but otherwise it doesnt seem worth it.

Define “travel”. If it mostly means get on a plane and go somewhere, ive done that many times this year and havent caught covid. I wear an n95 mask. Im not sure flying is really the riskiest thing you can do.

Isn’t tbe air filtration on planes supposed to be solid?

Yeah the airplane filtration is great, although if you’re sandwiched in a middle seat between two Covid patients there’s only so much it can do. Having the little air vent blowing full blast directly on your face helps.

Still, the airport is more dangerous than the plane. And the shuttle from the parking lot to the airport or the train ride home from the airport or whatever similar situation applies to your method of getting from home to the airport and airport to final destination and back again.

It likely depends on what risks you take in your daily life to begin with to rank flying. People on here are probably taking fewer risks than the general population but living life normally is what normies are basically doing now. Bars are packed. A bar is reeking with covid. Probably gym classes too.

My concern with traveling is not with catching covid itself, but being unable to do what i want to do at the destination after catching it.

2 Likes

I’m at one right now for lunch!

Of course it’s pretty empty.

If I get covid soon, it will likely be from all the recruiting events I’ve been attending. I don’t have much say in attending those and social distancing is impossible.

I’m more than two weeks out from my booster now though, so hopefully that helps.

Me too. Or getting stuck somewhere.

Yeah, your local epidemiologist recommends you wait 3 months after you’ve had covid to get any vaccine. Not because the vaccine will do you any harm, but because it won’t do you much good, since your immune system may not recognize it as a separate event.

One possible exception is that some people who have long covid, especially long covid that’s caused by an overactive immune system, have gotten relief from a vaccination. Basically, the vaccine gives the immune system a kick, so it can then get back into line.

1 Like

Surely you mean “Not because the vaccine will do you any harm”

Yes, thanks. Fixed.

I got my flu vaccine today at Costco today. I thought maybe I’d ask, since I’m here, can I get a COVID boost too. She said no, they don’t know ahead of time which days they do COVID walk-ins. Not terribly helpful.

I decided to get both at the same time, so I’ve scheduled two jabs on Wednesday. My husband’s doctor recommends waiting 2 weeks between, and I think he plans to do that. My doctor said that they haven’t explicitly studied the immune response generated by getting them at the same time, but thinks it’s probably fine. (They have studied side effects, and it seems like the side effects aren’t worse if you double up, except having two sore arms, of course.)

I’m hit or miss on getting a flu shot and haven’t had one for a few years. I’ll probably get one this fall, largely due to the way the flu is surging in the southern hemisphere this year. Gonna wait until after I get my COVID jab though.

I usually like to get my flu shot a little later. But flu hit early in the southern hemisphere, and I want to get the covid booster now, and it just seemed like so much less bother to do them at the same time.

Just booked bivalent booster for next week.

1 Like

CVS just texted and emailed me a link to a video to watch about getting my vaccine. WTF? How hard is it to get a vaccine?

I also got the link. Haven’t watched it. Vaccine Wednesday

Twinsies! I’m also getting jabbed on Wednesday.